Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2006 14:00

Inspiron 1300 can't connect to wi-fi router

Have just purchased a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop with internal V.92 modem and Dell Wireless 1370 802.11 b/g Mini PCI Card installed.

My housemate currently connects to his broadband account using a MAC laptop and a wi-fi connection to a router - the ZyXEL Prestige 660W/HW Series ADSL 2+ 4 Port Gateway with 802.11g Wireless.

After much excitement at the prospect of being able to join him online wirelessly with my new laptop I discovered that, when searching for wireless connections, my laptop detected a few but none that belonged to us (these connections disappeared and re-appeared throughout the night but our router stayed on all night).

How come my laptop can't detect our router?

Do I need anything else to get online wirelessly?

Please help!

28K Posts

February 24th, 2006 17:00

Is your router set to hide its SSID?  If so, then you will have to configure the wireless card to explicitly connect to the network with the SSID of your router?  Is MAC address filtering enabled on the router?  Is any kind of wireless security enabled on the router?

Steve

February 25th, 2006 09:00

Thanks for your reply Steve.

Sorry but I'm a bit of a novice at this. How would I go about finding out all the info to the questions you asked?

17 Posts

February 25th, 2006 11:00

I'll have to agree with Steve, if your laptop isn't detecting your router it's SSID broadcast is set to disabled which is very smart. You'll just have to add your connection manually.

You must add the name (SSID) of the router to your utility along with the encryption protocol and key.

An easier solution would be for your roomate to enable SSID broadcast, allow you to connect once and then re-disable the broadcast.

February 25th, 2006 12:00

Where would I find my router's SSID, encryption protocol and key? What do you mean by utility?

How do you enable SSID boradcast on a mac? Once it's re-disabled will I still be able to connect to it?

Thank you for your help.

17 Posts

February 25th, 2006 12:00

What brand wireless router do you have?

17 Posts

February 25th, 2006 13:00

Where would I find my router's SSID, encryption protocol and key?

-Ask the person who set up the router, your friend. He picked the SSID, protocol, and key. You need to ask him

What do you mean by utility?

-Your system's software used to connect to the wireless connection.

How do you enable SSID boradcast on a mac?

-You don't. The SSID broadcast comes from the router. It's the router's way of saying "I'm here, I have an internet connection available!" It's disabled to keep people from trying to connect to his router and stealing his internet connection.

Once it's re-disabled will I still be able to connect to it?

-Yes. Once you've successfully connected to the router the settings are saved by your utility and it will automatically connect when you turn on your computer.

Thank you for your help.

No prob.

ZyXEL Prestige 660W/HW Series ADSL 2+ 4 Port Gateway with 802.11g Wireless.

http://www.stegcomputer.ch/prodspics/zyxel/pics_pdfs/660HW/P660HW_Series_v3-40_QuickStartGuide.pdf

17 Posts

Sorry, I found that info earlier and realized it doesn't matter. Read above.
No Events found!