Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

February 4th, 2017 21:00

Inspiron 15 3521 (Windows 7 Home Premium x64): Slow internet problem

Full story: my internet was working smoothly at normal speed for a while, but a few days ago, on a Tuesday evening (an hour or two before the belkin.de0 connection (the one I've always used) went down for a couple of hours then back to normal), I've noticed recently that my internet was working a bit slower than usual. Yes, I can still go onto web pages and such (usually at a quick pace), but the speed of downloads were reduced to about 100 KBps and Youtube video quality fell down after 8-20 seconds (sometimes it plays in its original quality). I'm using a Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz) network adapter and my current connection is belkin.de0 (from Charter Spectrum). What can I do to fix it?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 6th, 2017 08:00

* Disconnect the power cable and internet provider cable from the router
* Wait one minute
* Reconnect all cables and wait for it to reset itself

* Connect the Inspiron 15-3521 directly to the router via an RJ45 ethernet cable
* Go to speedtest.net
* Run the test. What are the results?
* Disconnect the RJ45 ethernet cable from the Inspiron 15-3521

* Connect to the internet via the Inspiron 15-3521 WiFi
* Go to speedtest.net

18 Posts

February 7th, 2017 03:00

Speedtest.net results:

Ping: 16 ms

Download Speed: 0.92 Mbps

Upload speed: 5.67 Mbps

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 7th, 2017 05:00

That is super slow? Was that for wired or wifi? I asked for both?

* Connect the Inspiron 15-3521 directly to the router via an RJ45 ethernet cable
* Go to speedtest.net
* Disconnect the RJ45 ethernet cable from the Inspiron 15-3521

* Connect to the internet via the Inspiron 15-3521 WiFi
* Go to speedtest.net

18 Posts

February 7th, 2017 22:00

I forgot to mention on the first post, the Belkin network connection used loads at normal speed for the other laptops at home, but mine is a might slower than the rest.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 8th, 2017 07:00

I need both test run...

* Connect the Inspiron 15-3521 directly to the router via an RJ45 ethernet cable
* Go to speedtest.net
Disconnect the RJ45 ethernet cable from the Inspiron 15-3521

* Connect to the internet via the Inspiron 15-3521 WiFi
* Go to speedtest.net

18 Posts

February 12th, 2017 16:00

Sadly, I don't even have an RJ45 ethernet cable. I could only get the results from the Wi-Fi portion of the speed testing I posted earlier.

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that the Dell Wireless driver I have came with two Bluetooth drivers, one for RFCOMM Protocol TDI and one for the Personal Area Network.

18 Posts

February 13th, 2017 02:00

Sorry for the double-posting, but I managed to test my internet speed again. This time, I took my laptop downstairs where my Belkin router is located (it resides in the dining room computer cabinet where my mother's desktop computer also resides in). And when I tested it there on speedtest.net for the Wi-Fi, I found rather interesting results:

Download Speed: 21.40 Mbps

Upload speed: 5.75 Mbps

Now comparing it with the results upstairs in my room (using the results from an older post):

Download Speed: 0.92 Mbps

Upload speed: 5.67 Mbps

And before Tuesday night on January 31st, it was the same speed from downstairs as it was when it was up in my room. I think the problem may have been that the signal must've gone down from there between the day and night of that exact date. And yes, I have a range extender that came with teh internet we have from Charter as well.

P.S. I'm also attaching a snapshot of the properties of the Dell wireless driver I'm using just in case i need to change something in there to fix the problem.

1 Attachment

18 Posts

February 16th, 2017 18:00

Okay, so I figured out why the internet was slow. Apparently, my mom had to reboot the modem and everyone had to turn off their computers. However, I wasn't aware of the reboot at the time, and it didn't catch my end of the server, making my internet intensely slow. Just tonight, I turned off my computer and my mom rebooted the modem. Now my internet is working at normal speed once again.

EDIT: It just degraded from my quick 10 to 16 Mbps to 1.20 to 1.50 Mbps. So I'm back to square one.

No Events found!