Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 5th, 2008 17:00

Inspiron 1501 Wireless Head-Scratcher

Hey,

Well, here's the deal. I have a Inspiron 1501 running Windows XP. I reformatted it successfully, installing all drivers in the correct order and therefore have a computer with working wireless internet. But here's the tricky thing, my uncle asked me to do the same process to his Inspiron 1501 because his wireless internet hasn't worked for well over a year and has been reduced to using a USB internet flash stick. I followed the same process as i did my own but after 3 or 4 complete system reformats, it remains the same. The computer does not even recognize that there is even a wireless network adapter in the system, as the device manager lists the 'Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller' as the only network adapter. Can anybody help with this? I'm STUMPED!

Many thanks,

Curtis

49 Posts

December 5th, 2008 22:00

Hi Curtis,

The Device Manger will on list the devices which are connected to the computer. It seems that the device manager is not able to detect the wireless card.  This happens if the cable connecting to the card is Damaged or Disconnected. Most probably it should be disconnected. You can try reseating the the cables.

To Reseat the cable:

1. Turn OFF the laptop, Remove all power sources like A.C. Adapter, Battery etc..

2.Remove the keyboard for instructions download the manual from the following link: 

3.After you have removed the keyboard you should be able to locate the wireless Mini Card its on the Top Right hand corner. Check the cable connections, better still reseat them.

4. Put the keyboard back and check in the device manger, if its able to detect the card, install the driver and it should work.

5.If it still does not work its a hardware problem, the Wireless card has to be replaced.

623 Posts

December 6th, 2008 01:00

GARAMVADA is correct.  Unless your notebook has a Wi-Fi catcher switch that is turned off or the WLAN has been disabled in the BIOS, your Mini-PCIe card has failed if it cannot be recognized in windows.

December 6th, 2008 08:00

Many thanks to everyone for there help! This WAS the case because when opening up the computer, i found that the wireless card had come loose and dislodged. I turned the computer back on after re-attaching the card and reinstalled the driver and voila! instant internet! thanks a million guys. Saved me a lot of time and money on this one. Cheers!

Curtis

December 27th, 2009 15:00

Hi I have a simular problem on an inspiron but mine is new and it's due to my toddler typing on it while i was away.
I returned to my computer and my wireless connection was gone, when i tried to connect to a network it told me i couldn't, so i dignosed the problem and i was told my wireless card was disabled and i could turn it on by either an external switch on the front or side of the computer or through a key combination.

I see no switch on the computer, only my dvd drive and my SD/MMC card. I called a friend who's usually good with this and he said the same thing, that it should be there. I'm not terrible with computers but i'm not a wiz either. I swear i cannot find this. In the event that it isn't on my model, does anyone know the key combination to find my wireless card and enable it?

I've also found my readme on my computer and read it and it's no help, as well as searched for wireless devices to install and enable through my network search.

also if there is a better place to post this let me know :)

1 Message

April 6th, 2015 16:00

Garamvada,

It may be years later, but you post was still useful to me.  My mini wireless card had come lose.  Everything works well now.  

Noel Tello

September 2nd, 2016 10:00

Now that Microsoft have decided that XP is beneath them I have loaded Linux Mint operating system onto my 1501 and now have the option of using either.  However, when I opt for Linux the wireless keys Fn (blue) and F2 do not switch on the Wifi indicator light and I have to use the Ethernet cable to connect to the net.  When I opt for XP the Wifi system operates as normal.

Can anyone tell me why?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 3rd, 2016 04:00

A program called Dell Quickset is required for the function keys to work within the OS there is no Linux version of it.

No Events found!