Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 22nd, 2012 08:00

Inspiron 1505 wiped and reloaded; now wireless and ethernet connections won't work

Have an older Inspiron E1505 that was running slow. Wiped it and reloaded Windows Xp Professional, Office 2007, and service pack 3.

Was not working wirelessly, but was able to connect to internet through an ethernet cord (through a router, home internet service is Comcast.)

Worked for several days, then was not working through ethernet connection so I called Comcast to see if our service was down (other home PC connected through network was also offline.) We tried a few setups and cords, plugged directly into router, then modem.

I brought the laptop in to work to try plugging into network directly with ethernet cord and get a popup says that the Local Area Connection "A network cable is unplugged."

Tried to reinstall drivers Broadcom-Diagnostics Utility  R150593.EXE (9MB) Broadcom-Driver  R149798.EXE (4MB) Intel-Driver  Intel_multi-device_A13_R171131.exe (65MB). Still no connection through ethernet or wireless.

A few thoughts:

1) The device manager in Control Panel does not show any of them as being questionable (no yellow question marks)

2) I thought maybe the port/pins was damaged. If it were physically damaged, should I still be able to connect wirelessly?

3) Is there something in the software setup and updates that is causing a conflict for my being able to get onto the network?

Thanks in advance,

Jonna

February 22nd, 2012 14:00

I believe we installed everything in the order that the Dell rep recommended.

We may just start from scratch and try it one more time to see if that helps.

Jonna

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2012 14:00

Jonna,

The desktop/notebook system utility and the chipset drivers need installed first or the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2012 15:00

Jonna,

Installing the drivers in the correct order is very important.

Rick

No Events found!