Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 3rd, 2012 04:00

Inspiron 1545 Wireless Card

I have deduced that the wireless card needs replacing in my Inspiron 1545. I went through Dell's "find a product" page and it suggested two cards: 

WLAN 1510 (802.11 a/b/g/n) - Half Height - Mini-Card - Kit

Wireless : Dell WLAN 1397 (802.11 b/g) 1/2 MiniCard

But when I go to more details the Inspiron 1545 isn't listed in the "compatible with". I went on to live chat and asked if they where compatible but they couldn't help and told me to call a third party!

To confuse me even more when I check my products on an Intel Report it says I have an Intel WiFi Link 5100 fitted.

Can anyone confirm that either of the Dell cards will fit the 1545.

Another confusion is that I check the YouTube videos for fitting a new wireless card and the only video I can see is for a half height card and when I open up the back of my laptop the card is in a different position covered by a piece of black plastic and I can't figure out how to get it out. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Linda

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 7th, 2012 01:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

There are 3 options available Wireless Card for your laptop. Dell Wireless 1397 802.11b/g half-height Mini-Card, Dell Wireless 1515n 802.11n half-height Mini-Card and Intel Wireless 5100n a/b/g/n half-height Mini-Card. I checked Dell Wireless 1510 mini-card and I think it will be compatible too for your PC.

Regarding the video, possible it is not accurate information. Just check the manual on this link ; http://dell.to/LsFkuO

Also, another reminder, there are 2 locations where you can see the wireless cards, it depends on what display adapter is supported by your computer. (Either Discrete or Integrated)

Let me know if you need further assistance. Glad to help!

Best Regards,

3 Posts

May 8th, 2012 10:00

Thanks for your reply which is very useful.

It turned out that the problem was a driver corruption issue so I don't need a new card. However, I will be keeping your reply in case I need one in the future.

Kind Regards

Linda

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 9th, 2012 01:00

You are welcome Linda.

If you need the drivers just go to www.support.dell.com and enter your service tag, then choose the correct operating system, then look under network for your wireless card driver.

Feel free to post back for any concerns. Best Regards!

3 Posts

May 9th, 2012 07:00

Thanks again, this is most useful. I've actually fixed it now so very pleased with myself :emotion-1:

1 Message

June 17th, 2015 18:00

How would I know if the WiFi card is working or the connection is bad on the Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop as the computer does not recognize the connection?

No Events found!