Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2009 15:00

Inspiron 1545 wireless, no internet but do have network access

I recently got a new Inspiron 1545, installed Windows xp sp2 on it. Once I completed the install I disconnected the internet wire from the laptop. I did this to test the wireless card. I am still able to access my networked drives but I can not access any web pages. I disabled the firewall settings but that did not work. I am connected to the router and that works fine especially since I am able to access other computers on the network. I just can not see the internet. When I connect to the router from a different computer I can see the laptop listed as a device that is connected to the router. On the computer I also see the connection as being Excellent to the router.

odd thing is that I can sometimes connect to www.MSN.com and other times I can't, I just get "The Page cannot be displayed".

Here are some details of my configuration:

New Inspiron 1545, Dell wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card, Router Netgear model WGR614 v5, Windows XP. I have the latest drivers from the Dell Website, installed them on 12/05/09.

I have another laptop that is on the wireless (Windows XP) and it has no problem access any of the sites. Any help would be great!

4.6K Posts

December 6th, 2009 10:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

First of all... why haven't you installed XP SP3?

As for the problem:  The obvious question is... did you reinstall all the drivers, after you installed the OS?

The fact you're sometimes able to connect to the MSN website though, suggests you must have drivers installed?

Open Device Manager, and check that the drivers for your wireless mini-card (specifically) are OK, but check everything else as well.

There should be no yellow exclamation marks anywhere?

On the subject of drivers:  Did you install the drivers in the order advised by Dell?

Other than that... what browser do you use?  Try reinstalling/updating it?

Not installing them as per Dell's advice, can lead to a variety of different problems - depending on the system.

3 Posts

December 6th, 2009 16:00

Thank you for your response,

I did upgrade to service pack 3 for XP, In fact I went to the custom option for the upgrade for Windows and just said yes to everything. I also uninstalled the Dell wireless 1397 drivers and reinstalled them from the Dell website. After the re-installation of the drivers I checked to make sure that Device manager had no issues. What is weird is that when I do get a website up it takes almost 3 minutes for it to finish, but after that I can not get another site up.

3 Posts

December 7th, 2009 15:00

Great News! It was the router. Odd thing was that it would not allow the Inpiron 1545 to connect to the internet but it was ok with my other 5 laptops to connect. I changed out the router with another netgear and it works like a champ. Very Odd.

No Events found!