Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2013 13:00

Inspiron 15Z 5523 Upgrade to Windows 8.1 - Horrible WiFi and Networked Internet Access

I upgraded my Inspiron 15Z 5523 to Windows 8.1. Immediately I can access internet either by WiFi or wired LAN connection for only a short amount of time and even then intermittently.  If Laptop goes to sleep - then no access after awaking.  After a period of time the connection begins to fail and stops responding.  Any help?

1 Message

November 6th, 2013 13:00

I likewise upgraded my Inspiron 15R, bought in August, to Windows 8.1. Ever since when I access wifi I get "This connection is taking longer than usual" and then "The connection is limited". It's then rather reluctant to work properly and communicate with the other computers and printers on the network, and won't receive BT Sport at all for example. But I don't think it's actually the wifi because the hard-wired Ethernet connection is also adversely affected. Also a speed test at speedtest.net gives a download speed of 6Mbps, same as it's always been. Help please!

3 Posts

November 20th, 2013 02:00

I have updated drivers from the Dell support site to no avail.  Even hardwired into my network does not offer internet access.  Initially on reboot I can access internet but it quickly disappears after 10 minutes or so.  SO it does work initially then degrades and fully stops internet access.  Any suggestions would be great!

December 4th, 2013 10:00

+1

i am picking up my new dell inspirion 15z today.

i hope to do a fairly trouble-free update to windows 8.1

can someone please advise?

1 Message

December 12th, 2013 10:00

I was having the same issue I found that updating the Bluetooth and wireless drivers helped. intel wirless pro 2230 for windows 8 64 bit. I am having second thoughts about updating to windows 8.1. Windows 8 is already a pain.

1 Message

December 27th, 2013 05:00

Despite the WiFi issues I'd still like to try an upgrade to 8.1  My 15z was bought on 22 December 2013 and I'd really appreciate any advice on how to upgrade from Windows 8 as I can't see the 8.1 Upgrade on the Windows store.  There is a required update needed, KB something, I've checked and that is downloaded.  What next?

Unfortunately Dell site help is really very poor.  I like their hardware but their support is not good enough.

1 Message

December 28th, 2013 07:00

It doesn't help but having the same issue with my new computer, 30 days old, ever since Microsoft updated the windows 8 software.  Had the Microsoft team on the phone for several hours a couple weeks back and they more or less gave up.  The technicians updated all the software from Intel, Microsoft, and Dell and nothing works in Windows 8 or 8.1.  The Microsoft techs said to call my IP provider and ask them to change the address to see if this would work.  Have not tried it as of today.

Indications are the updates in Windows 8 or 8.1 corrupts the Intel wifi adapter making it think it's a threat to the system and the firewall shuts down the connection.  Not sure but this was the thought and the various manufactures, Dell, HP, Intel, etc., have not caught up to the windows updates.

At the end they said give it 30 days and see if the manufacturers catch up to the windows updates.  OK, it' been 30 days and no change, actually getting worse.

The Techs even tried reformatting the entire computer the first week I had it.

Anyone solution to this would be greatly appreciated by thousands of people.

3 Posts

December 28th, 2013 08:00

I tried repeatedly reloading every driver I could and in different orders (saw one place that the chipset must be loaded before the network.  Nothing ever worked.  Finally gave up and rebuilt my laptop from my factory recovery drive.  Will not attempt 8.1 again.  Amazing that a brand new machine (only 5 months old) with nothing special ever added cannot upgrade to a major Windows release.  repeatedly ended up in the same place. Internet/network access would work up on reboot, then degrade away after 5 minutes or so to nothing.

4 Posts

May 9th, 2014 09:00

It's now May and it's sad to see that Dell has not solved or even addressed this issue.

I just upgraded the laptop to 8.1, downloaded the W 8.1 drivers from the Dell website, uninstall the old drivers, install the new W 8.1 drivers, and I still have problems connecting to the wireless network.

I can see the wireless network, I can logon but it says I have a limited connection.  However, if I wait a minute or two, I have a full internet connection.  However, when I re-boot I have to manually login to the network again even though the Automatic Connect box is checked.

Dell is usually pretty good about fixing stuff like this, but apparently Dell's attitudes toward it customers is changing.  Sad.

4 Posts

May 9th, 2014 18:00

I was playing around with my machine and noticed the was a Intel Wireless Manager icon in the task bar try (I clicked on the up arrow in the bottom right hand corner).  so I clicked on the Intel Wireless Manager and noticed that it could not find any wireless networks. 

There as an option to "Not start Intel Wireless Manager when Windows starts" and I checked that box.  Then I re-boot my machine.  This time, the laptop automatically connected to the wireless network and everything is working fine.

I responded to this via the wireless connection.   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Events found!