Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2013 21:00

Inspiron 1720 Wireless connects but cannot access Internet

The wireless activates and finds wireless connections and auto connects with no problem but "No Internet Access".
It seems it cannot retrieve an IP address from my local DHCP server. I am on a home network.
I have already reset my router and other computers on my network are not having any problems getting connected, and I've also re-installed driver.

Dell Wireless WLAN Card Uitilty reports "Pass" on all Hardware Diagnostics, and passes all  Connection Diagnostics up to Gateway IP Ping.
Link Status shows Gateway IP address not available, and Client IP as 169.254.13.90.
Setting manual IP info on the wireless adapter to match my network does not help either.
After manually setting the IP information on the adapter, IPCONFIG shows the IP info I entered, however, pinging the Client IP returns "General Failure"
Inspiron 1720 running Win7 with Dell wireless 1505 draft 802.11n WLAN mini-card.

What am I missing??

1.8K Posts

April 27th, 2013 23:00

Hi LDesiano,

I appreciate your efforts to fix the wireless Internet connection issue. This could happen if the security password of the network is incorrectly entered. I suggest you to connect to the wireless network by reentering the security key.

You may use the following commands to release and renew the IP address:

1. Click on “Start”, “Programs\Accessories” and right click on “Command Prompt”, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.
2. Type ipconfig /release (there is a space between ipconfig and /).
3. Type ipconfig /renew.
4. This will renew the IP address.

If the above commands fail, then the TCP/IP stack needs to repaired by following the steps provided below:

1. Click on “Start”, “Programs\Accessories” and right click on “Command Prompt”, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.
2. Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults (without quotes): “netsh winsock reset catalog”
3. Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults (without quotes): “netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log”
4. Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults (without quotes):”netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log”
5. Reboot the computer.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 28th, 2013 04:00

LDesiano,

Please cotinue with DELL-Rajath N

The 169.254 ip addres is the router is not communicating with the modem.

Power off your ISP modem/router and your wireless router(if any) for 30 seconds. Then power on the ISP modem/router. Wait 15 seconds, then power on the wireless router(if any)

Restart the computer and try to connect.

What happens?

Rick

5 Posts

April 28th, 2013 19:00

Rajath,

I've tested everything on the router side with other equipment, and there are no problems there. I have several other computers and they are all working fine with my network.

The Security PW is also correct, and if it was not I would not get connected to the router at all.

Resetting the TCP/IP also did not help. Actually, after doing that the network utility returned "internal Configuration inconsistency. Please restart machine to resolve problem" and would not open. I rebooted the machine several time but the error would not resolve. I ran the utility installer and did a repair to clear this issues.

I've also discovered that I have the same problem with the ethernet port. I get lights and a connection but  also cannot get an IP address back from the router on hard wire. I re-installed the Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller driver and retested. No luck.

What do you think?

1.8K Posts

April 29th, 2013 12:00

Hi LDesiano,

Thank you for your reply and for providing an update on the status. I suggest you to run a "Component" test on the network card from the following link:
http://dell.to/Y6Di9x

Please let me know the test results.

5 Posts

April 29th, 2013 15:00

And how do you suggest I run an "online application"  when I cannot get online???

1.8K Posts

May 1st, 2013 08:00

Hi LDesiano,

Thank you for your reply and I apologize for providing an online test. I suggest you to update the Network Adapter drivers and check if the system obtains an IP address by disabling the security application's firewall temporarily. You can download the latest drivers from the following link by punching in the Service Tag:
http://dell.to/QjjZDA

Please let me know about your findings.

5 Posts

May 1st, 2013 19:00

Rajath,

There are two drivers, one for the BroadCom adapter and one for the Wireless. I've replaced both several times with drives from the Dell with no success. I even made sure that I was NOT downloading the XP drivers.

Turning off the firewall did not help. In fact, I stopped the Windows Firewall Service to be sure.

The Dell Wireless WLAN Card Uitilty reports everything is good on all Hardware Diagnostics, and passes all  Connection Diagnostics up to Gateway IP Ping. Which we already know. We have a solid physical connection but no communications.

Also, If I give the adapter a static IP with all the appropriate additional info, then disable and enable the adapter, when I ping the IP of the machine I get "General Failure"

Resetting the WinSock and IP Stack did not help either.

And repairing the OS didn't help.

This is where we started. What else can we try or what other settings may be getting in the way??

1.8K Posts

May 2nd, 2013 07:00

Hi LDesiano,

Thank you for your reply and for providing an update on the status. This seems to be an issue with the TCP/IP and I have found a Microsoft Fixit that can fix this issue automatically. You can run the fixit from the following link:
http://dell.to/13PaMd9

You may have to reset the computer to factory defaults or re-install Windows, if the fixit fails.

Please let me know about your findings.

5 Posts

May 2nd, 2013 08:00

Been there. Done that. All the fix does is reset the TCP stack.

This problem originally started under Vista. I've since upgraded to Win7 hoping that would flush it out. When it did not, I went looking for more help which is when I can to this forum.

What do you suggest next?

1.8K Posts

May 4th, 2013 16:00

Hi LDesiano,

Thank you for your reply and for providing an update on the status. I suggest you to reinstall the copy of Windows 7. This will fix the issues with corrupt TCP/IP stacks.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

No Events found!