Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2009 17:00

Inspiron 1720 bluescree wireless

I have an inspiron 1720 with Vista home premium edition and I get a blue screen while using the internet. It usually only happens when I'm doing some heavy downloading and is very annoying.

I believe it has something to do with the wireless network card drivers.

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini110908-01.dmp
  C:\Users\gord sr\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-85270-0.sysdata.xml
  C:\Users\gord sr\AppData\Local\Temp\WER97FA.tmp.version.txt
bcmwl6.sys

Thanks in advance for a speedy response and resolution.

3.6K Posts

January 18th, 2009 20:00

What wireless card do you have?...

Which driver version are you using?...

14 Posts

January 18th, 2009 22:00

Oh, and the drivers I just installed from the site.

Dell_multi-device_A17_R174292

I still experience the same blue screen as before with no apparent change. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

14 Posts

January 18th, 2009 22:00

I have a  Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card. I get a blue screen whenever I have heavy internet traffic, apparently.

3.6K Posts

January 19th, 2009 06:00

Have you tried uninstalling the driver,then re-boot and let windows detect and install the driver.I usually get this BSOD with wireless(during a complete re-install of the OS) because the wireless has no connection at first.But if you let windows detect the card,it should fix the problem.

If it does not,then,uninstall the driver>remove battery>and remove wireless card,then re-seat the card>re-insert battery>boot up and let windows detect again.

14 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 06:00

A few questions before I proceed:

1) Uninstall the wireless card before removing it from my computer?

2) Should I check the "Delete the driver software for this device" box?

3)My wireless card is listed as    Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-card. Not a question, just saying incase it is relevant.

Thanks for your help with this.

3.6K Posts

January 22nd, 2009 06:00

I don't think you are out of luck.The wireless card is easily accessed by,turning the laptop over remove battery first>then undue the screws on the compartment that houses the wireless card(i believe the wireless is here,and not under the keyboard on this model).You should have 2 compartments,1 holding the memory,second holding the wireless.After removing card(be careful removing the wireless antennas from the card itself)you can easily break the pins with too much pressure.Once removed>re-insert the wireless card,and battery.Boot up and let windows detect and install driver.If this fails,open Control Panel>Device Manager>click (+) next to network adapters>double click on the wireless card,it is listed as Intel wireless WiFi Link and the card number.Now click the driver tab at top>click uninstall tab at bottom.Now open Control Panel again,and open Programs and Features>now scroll down to Intel Proset/Wireless WiFi Software>Single click on this,then click the uninstall tab at the top.Now you can do the rest either of 2 ways,1)Re-boot and let windows automatically detect,2)DO NOT re-boot yet,but load the driver you have already saved for this,once you install the driver,then re-boot.Post back with how it goes.

3.6K Posts

January 22nd, 2009 07:00

1)You can uninstall the driver before removing the card itself,yes.

2)No,don't delete it,it should be uninstalled.Deleting it still leaves the file/files in the system.Only Delete this if you know you have completely uninstalled ALL the drivers the way i described above.

3)Yes,that is what you would need to uninstall in the device manager,and programs and features.

3.6K Posts

O.K.,post back with any further results/problems you are having.I will help you with anything i can.

If you run into any problems, i still am searching for a fix in the mean time.

Edit:Did you make sure your wireless switch is turned ON?...There should be a wireless switch i believe on the side of this model that needs to be in the ON position when installing.Also you might try opening dell quickset and check to see if the wireless wifi is set to enable for all network radios.

14 Posts

Alright, I did as you suggested. I uninstalled the wireless drivers both in device manager and in programs/features and proceeded to remove my wireless card. After putting it back in I loaded up the computer and Windows tried to install the drivers automatically - and failed. I installed the Dell_multi-device_A17_R174292 drivers downloaded off the Dell.ca website once again. I'll report back if/when I receive the blue screen again.

Any further comments, instructions or information would be appreciated. This problem makes it impossible to download anything and is quite frustrating.

Thanks~

14 Posts

January 28th, 2009 10:00

Sorry for not replying sooner, but I've been busy.

At the end of my last post the blues screen stopped appearing so frequently, but after a day or two it happened.. and ever since it seems to happen more and more often. :(

My wireless siwtch is ON.

I checked in Dell Quickset, and my Wi-Fi Catcher Network Locator is Enabled and in Mode: Any Available Network.

It's really annoying when I leave my computer on at night to download only to wake up with a blue screen.

14 Posts

January 29th, 2009 12:00

Bump.

I'd really like to get this issue resolved. :(

1.7K Posts

January 30th, 2009 10:00

Since reinstalling the driver didn't fix the problem, I would recommend running the diagnostics from the Dell Wireless Card Utility to check for hardware problems.

14 Posts

January 30th, 2009 11:00

I ran the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility diagnostics and this is the read-out.

Control Registers              Passed

SPROM Format Validation  Passed

Memory                             Passed

Interrupt                           Passed

DMA and Loopback            Passed

Everything seems to check out, but ironically it blue screened while I was reading your post. :(

14 Posts

January 31st, 2009 05:00

I don't seem to be making any progress on these boards, would it be more prudent to contact dell directly? Would they be able to supply a resolution to this problem? My computer is still relatively new and I believe is under warranty, should I be asking them to fix it?

I can't download for more than 5 minutes without getting a blue screen error. It's really annoying and this computer costed more than 2000$, I should be able to download whatever I want at that price.

1.7K Posts

February 2nd, 2009 13:00

The next time you get the error, write down the specific error message (STOP 0x-something in modules whatever, etc) as that could help people here identify what is happening.  Also, making note of whether the error message changes could help as well.  If the card passes diags I don't think it is a hardware problem with it, but that doesn't rule out a hardware problem somewhere else in the system, and still leaves Windows, the driver, and other software and possible causes.

Have you already checked to see if you get the error while running in Safe Mode With Networking?

No Events found!