Networking, Internet, & Bluetooth

Last reply by 09-24-2004 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Inspiron 2500 Speeds Really Slow

I'm just beginning to research this, but I'll post it here hoping for advice while I do that.

My Inspiron w/"Lucent Win Modem" is about 2 1/2 years old and I use dial-up service with several ISPs.  They've been OK mostly because I could typically get speeds of about 42kbps or thereabouts.  One day about two months ago the speeds for all of them--AOL, MSN, and another--all dropped by about half.  Now I am lucky to get 28.8 and often it is closer to the teens!  Too slow even to get e-mail.

I really thought it was a change in my local phone line, local wireline software or some such thing (and I asked Qwest (Colorado) a lot of questions).  I've also had serious spyware, trojan, and virus problems--I thought maybe that was a factor--but now I am very confident my laptop is clean.  Part of the reason is I just bought a desktop and "cleaned off" the laptop and did a bunch of other things.  The new desktop always connects at 44-46kbps using the exact same phone cable and same ISPs/software.

What is wrong with my Dell or its modem?  I have heard that modems can degrade over time but I don't quite understand that.  Do I need to replace it?  Could it be a software problem? 

I read most of the links and FAQs on this board and am going try the modem test described.

Any experience, advice, or suggestions?  Thanks much.

Message Edited by PeterinCO on 09-16-2004 08:08 PM

Replies (23)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

J&K:  it sounds patronizing but you're right.  I saw all the users on this forum and the Dell representatives participating and figured there was a lot of knowledge being shared and help being offered; I looked around and learned that isn't the case.  Yes, the forum has not been helpful.  I'm actually curious if the truth is told about customer dissatisfaction and non-support from Dell if it will be censored (I'm backing it up and printing it).

The nonexistent support from Dell notwithstanding, we're actually having a pretty decent discussion here!  I'll check back for that reason alone.  But, we're not making a whole lot of progress.

I know quite a bit about customer satisfaction, corporate misinformation, etc.  If you like, see my website at www.theResearchSource.net/otherwriting.htm.  If there's a "cover-up" going on maybe I can shed some light on it by writing about it.  In the meantime, I have a few other ideas to pursue.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

6 Thallium

My desktop modem achieved 40+k when my 4000 would only get 26-31k.
6 Thallium

I am not a Dell employee or associated in any capacity with Dell.  I own a notebook and enjoy helping on the forums.  Sometimes I spend a lot of time here; lately between workload and volleyball travelling (daughter) I haven't been as active here.
Latest Solutions
Top Contributor