Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 30th, 2003 21:00

Inspiron 5100 Network Controller Driver Problem

I am having a problem with my network controller after upgrading to XP Professional.  The Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller driver (I've tried both the download and CD) works fine for the Card itself, but it doesn't work for the Network Controller.  When I first restart after running the installation program included with the driver, XP tells me that a new Network Controller device has been found.  As I go through the driver installation for that device it fails, and I receive a message telling me that the Hardware Update Wizard "Cannot Install this Hardware...The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software."  The device then appears in the Device Manager under the Other Devices section with a yellow question mark and exclamation point indicating trouble.  Please provide advice/help.

December 4th, 2003 20:00

hi

i have an identical problem re: xp professional and the broadcom controller, did you find a way to install the drivers properly?

my email is <Admin Note: Removed as per TOU Violations - Telson A>

Kyle

2 Posts

December 5th, 2003 19:00

My problem turned out to be that I was missing the driver for my Dell TrueMobile 1300 wireless ethernet card.  It turns out that the Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller driver was installed correctly.  I went to the following URL and downloaded the driver for the wirless card, ran the installation, and the error message went away:

I don't know if you have a wireless network card, but if you do, this might be the source of your problem as well.  Originally, when I went to the Dell driver download site (which is supposed to list all downloads for your machine based upon your machine profile) but it didn't list the wireless network card driver.  Thus, I failed to install it when I reinstalled the XP operating system.  Dell Tech Support was no help either...instead of going through my drivers to make sure I had them all installed based upon my system configuration, the rep had me reboot 4 times and then transferred me to a different department when I asked to speak to his supervisor.  But I digress...good luck fixing your machine.

December 7th, 2003 14:00

hi. well i have a truemobile 1800 installed and the drivers are present and that works fine, im on the internet with it now. and i cant find any updates for the 1800 wireless card on dell's pages... but how could one affect the other? dell hardware has been great til now..!

1 Message

February 15th, 2012 08:00

I cannot get the ethernet to work. I had to reformat the hard drive on my Dell Inspiron 5100 and in trying to use the CD with the drivers that came with this computer, nothing insofar as drivers (as far as I can tell) works. Assorted messages such as, "the driver you have is the most current available" Fact is, i don't have any as exhibited by the numerous yellow question marks on "Device Manager> Other Devices> Ethernet Controller...

I have tried in vain to download an updated driver from the web but there is always some glitch. I am running Windows XP Pro. The driver selected from teh web comes back as "unable to open this page". I am doing the attemped downloads on a different computer with the intent of downloading the driver to a stick drive then uploading it to the Dell Inspiron 5100.

The computer is quite old now but has probably less than fifty hours of actual run time on it. I would like to have it as a back up. I know better than to ask Dell Service so I am going public. Where can I get a viable driver for ethernet for the computer?

2.4K Posts

February 15th, 2012 09:00

In order to get your drivers to work properly they have to be installed in the correct order. You must first load Notebook System Software, then Intel Chipset drivers then your ethernet drivers. You can get your drivers from the support page by clicking on support at the top of this page. Then clicking on drivers and downloads. enter your service tag and choose your operating system. Your ethernet drivers will be the broadcom drivers.

No Events found!