Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2010 09:00

(Inspiron 700m) can't get wireless to work

Ok, so recently I got an inspiron 700m laptop as a hammydown from my sister. It had all sorts of problems, so I had to order a new copy of windows XP and install that. I've been trying to connect to the wireless network at my college, but the instructions they give say to go to network connections and start by clicking the "wireless connection" icon. There is no such icon. I've tried all sorts of different drivers from dell for this model and none of them seem to do the trick. I know i have a wireless card becuase I've opened a little panel on hte bottom of the computer and seen it myself. So um, does anyone know what the problem is?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 19th, 2010 09:00

Have you looked at the Hardware Device Manager to see if the wireless card is recognized and enabled? Did you reinstall Windows and the drivers and Dell software in proper order? You must install the Dell Notebook System Software (only necessary for XP) first with the chipset drivers before the network card and other drivers can be installed. You download the necessary drivers and software from Dell Support. Follow the direction here to install windows and drivers.

3 Posts

January 19th, 2010 10:00

Ok, I took everything off and then tried installing the notebook system software, then the chipdriver, then the wireless driver. the notebook software and chipset driver installed fine, but when i try to install the wireless driver it gives me an error that says "NOTICE - This version of the wireless software does not support the currently installed wireless adapter." I still can't figure out what to do...

3 Posts

actually, I think I may have solved my problem. I opened the panel and looked at the card itself, then ran a web search for the card. turns out intel(its an intel card) offers a driver for download from their website. I downloaded that, it installed, and now I have the icon. when I got to school tomarrow I'll see if it's worked. thanks for the help everyone. :)

626 Posts

We need to determine exactly which Wireless adapter is in your system.  In Device Manager, for the properties of that ethernet device, can you give me the Hardware IDs from the details tab for the ethernet device.  Use the top string.  See the image:

626 Posts

January 19th, 2010 11:00

Great!  Hope it works out for you.  Can you mark this thread as solved?

2 Posts

January 25th, 2010 16:00

Hi,

I have the same problem,  the ethernet device ID is

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_170C&SUBSYS_018018D1028&REV_02\4&16793A72&0&28F0

Please help.

Thanks

Perry

626 Posts

January 26th, 2010 07:00

Hi,

I have the same problem,  the ethernet device ID is

Please help.

Thanks

Perry

I'm not sure if you're using Windows XP or not but if you are then you can try this driver package:

http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R133409&formatcnt=1&libid=0&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=177529 <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

2 Posts

January 26th, 2010 17:00

Thanks for your response.

R133409 is the 440x 10/100 controler, which works fine on my 700m. 

I'm using Windows XP and my wireless network doesn't work, I have tried to install some wireless drivers, but al of them gove errors, like   "this version of the wireless software doesn't support the currently installed wireless adapter".

626 Posts

January 27th, 2010 08:00

I'm using Windows XP and my wireless network doesn't work, I have tried to install some wireless drivers, but al of them gove errors, like   "this version of the wireless software doesn't support the currently installed wireless adapter".

Did you finally get any drivers to install on the wireless network adapter?  If so, go to Start-Control Panel-Network Connections and find your Wireless Network Connection there.  Then right click it and select properties.  On the "Wireless Networks" tab check the box that says "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings".  Then click "View Wireless Networks".  (you might have to click OK and reopen properties before "View Wireless Networks" is available)  And then try to setup your wireless network...

If your drivers aren't installed on the wireless network adapter, then read on...

This device ID had too many characters in the subsystem section.  The Subsystem section should only have 8 characters instead of the 11 characters that are in yours.  4 of those 8 characters are for the subsystem device ID and the other 4 characters are for the subsystem vendor ID (Dell is 1028).  So instead of "018018D1028", it should be something more like "018D1028".  That string (018D1028) is actually what I assumed you to mean.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 23rd, 2012 11:00

cnps,

Did you install the notebook system utility and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Starte with the notebook system utility and the chipset drivers and follow the order.

Rick

3 Posts

February 23rd, 2012 11:00

I have the same problem, so i had to resurrect the topic.

After formatting my laptop, I can't install the 'wireless driver' which is located at http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=R155386&FileId=2731117458. When i try to install i got the error "This version of the software does not support the wireless adapter that is connected to a wireless system". I tried the all 10 other versions of this, but no luck. I managed to install other drivers, none of them gave me an incompatibility issue.

In Device Manager, there are 2 Network Adapters. (1394 Network Adapter and Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller) I can connect to the Internet by ethernet cable by the way. So, how can I install the "Intel Pro Wireless..." driver? Thanks in advance. (ps: I don't have recovery disc)

3 Posts

February 24th, 2012 10:00

I did as you suggested and installed by the order, but I still get the same error.

3 Posts

February 24th, 2012 14:00

After installing R105328.EXE, I got it working.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 24th, 2012 17:00

cnps,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!