Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2013 22:00

Inspiron n5110 wireless network driver problem

hi,

the wireless network driver of my inspiron n5110 is  Dell Wireless 1702 802.11b/g/n as in the device manager. but in dell website under tech specs of my computer model it says the wireless driver is Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 (1x2 bgn + Bluetooth) so i am confused! help me!

and my wifi connection is always connecting and disconnecting. i checked there is no problem with the connection. may be in the adapter. need an answer.

thanks

1.8K Posts

January 11th, 2013 23:00

Hi Oshan,

You can check the wireless card installed on your computer from the 'Device Manager'. Another way is to check the wireless card shipped with your computer from system configuration webpage, under 'Original system configuration' Tab. You can click on the link: http://dell.to/137Ex95  

Please share the system model. 

You can try using your computer in 'Safe mode with networking' and check if the system exhibits same behavior:

• Power off the laptop
  • Power it back on and repeatedly tap < F8 > when Dell logo appears (If Windows logo appears, please repeat the steps)
  • Advance Boot Options Menu appears (Mouse is inoperable on this screen; use arrow keys on the keyboard to navigate)
  • Highlight < Safe Mode with Networking' and tap < Enter >
  • Windows desktop screen will appear (Icons appear large sized in this diagnostic mode)
  • Try using the internet to see if that makes any difference

Note: Steps applicable for XP, Vista and Windows 7

Another step, you can try is to uninstall and re install the wireless drivers:  

• Click on “Start” and right click on “Computer”.
  • Click on “Manage”.
  • Click on “Device Manager”.
  • Under “Network adapters”, you will find the wireless driver listed.
  • Right click on it and click on “uninstall”. (Check and make a note of the driver installed on your system and re-install the driver from the below steps accordingly).
  • Check the box to delete the software.
  • Restart your system and click on the link: http://dell.to/QjjZDA
  • Enter the Service Tag of your system and select the operating system.
  • You will find the wireless  driver under “Network”.
  • Click on the wireless driver depending on the wireless card your system has. (Install the same wireless driver which you uninstalled from “Device Manager”.
  • Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
  • Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the driver on your desktop.
  • Once the driver is saved on desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.
  • Install the wireless driver by following the on screen instructions. 
  • Restart your computer. 

Please share the findings.

4 Posts

January 12th, 2013 04:00

i want to know it too...

7 Posts

January 12th, 2013 06:00

hi, thanks for the reply.

my OS is windows 8 pro 64bit and my problem happened after installing windows 8.

i checked my wireless adapter from devise manager and it is Dell Wireless 1702 802.11b/g/n. but see here www.dell.com/.../pd it says wireless adapter is Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 (1x2 bgn + Bluetooth) for this model.

i booted the computer in 'Safe mode with networking' and the system exhibits same behavior.

i downloaded and installed the latest driver for windows 8 from dell website and still the problem remains.

please help me to solve this. :(

1.8K Posts

January 15th, 2013 06:00

Hi Oshan / virgenmila,

Systems might have different configurations depending on the different regions. If the 'Device Manager' shows 1702 wireless card, it means your computer was purchased and shipped with that. From 'Device manager', you would be able to get the details of the system hardware installed on your computer. 

You can open the 'Device manager' -- > under network adapters -- > right click on the wireless card installed on your computer -- > Properties -- > Navigate to power management tab and uncheck the box to power off wireless card -- > Click Ok -- > Navigate to Advanced tab.

From there change the following settings:

• Roaming tendency (to maximum)
  • Disable power save mode
  • Enable bluetooth collaboration.
  • Try changing the Channel Number from 11 to 6 or vice versa. 

To know more about this, you can refer to link: http://dell.to/13yWbCF Options may vary depending on the wireless card. If you see different options, please share the exact options, so that I would be able to assist you in a better way. Also ensure that the system is within 30 feet of the distance from router without any hindrance. 

7 Posts

January 15th, 2013 07:00

thanks for the reply

i did this thing 2 days ago. i uninstalled the wireless and bluetooth driver(both are coming together). then restarted the computer. windows has installed the Dell Wireless 1702 802.11b/g/n driver automatically. but i did not install the network and bluetooth driver manually to enable bluetooth. now the wireless network problem is ok though i can not use bluetooth. i think there is a confusion between wireless networking and bluetooth drivers. hope you can get an idea. need a reply. thanks.

7 Posts

January 15th, 2013 08:00

p.s.

in the wireless card properties, under advanced tab there are no such options that you have mentioned above.

the remaining options are to change the values of "802.11b Preamble, Network address, Recive buffers, Scan valid interval and Transmit buffers".

1.8K Posts

January 16th, 2013 05:00

Hi Oshan,

You can re-install the driver from wireless card from the link: http://dell.to/WcUUwE

Once the driver is installed, observe the computer for a day and please reply if the issue still persists. Also please paste the screenshot of the 'Device manager', so that I can assist you in a better way. 

7 Posts

January 16th, 2013 07:00

the driver you mentioned above is not compatible with this laptop model. its for N5050 and mine is N5110 and my system is running on windows 8. this is the driver which i installed earlier and which caused the problem.

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-15r-n5110

1.8K Posts

January 17th, 2013 05:00

Hi Oshan,

The link I gave was for the same wireless card but different system model. Sometimes installing the previous versions of drivers might work.

Was it working without any issues in Windows 7? ( Prior installing Windows 8 ) If the card was working without any issues in Windows 7 then it should be an issue with Operating system/driver. 

You can also try installing the previous version of the same wireless card from link: http://dell.to/WhBoyW and see if it exhibits the same behavior. Also make sure to install all the windows updates for the same if available and see if it works. 

Another step you can try is to change the settings of wireless card to maximum performance from power options by following the steps below:

1. Click 'Start' , type 'Power Options' in the Start Search box, and then click 'Power Options' in the 'Programs' list. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
  2. Click 'Change plan settings' under the power plan that is selected. For example, if the 'Balanced' option is selected, click 'Change plan settings' under 'Balanced'.
  3. Click 'Change advanced power settings'.
  4. In the 'Power Options' dialog box, expand 'Wireless Adapter Settings', and then expand 'Power Saving Mode'.
  5. In the list that appears next to 'On battery', click 'Maximum Performance', and then click 'OK' to save changes.
  6. Restart your computer. 

7 Posts

January 17th, 2013 06:00

In windows 7 there was an issue with bluetooth connection. the wifi was working fine and the bluetooth was sometimes working and sometimes didn't. in windows 8 the opposite happens. but this is a new driver which specially came for windows 8 recently.

i would like to reiterate that there is a problem between the network and bluetooth drivers. so i have uninstalled the bluetooth driver and now my wifi is working smoothly. but i want to use my bluetooth too.

i have changed the power options but the problem remains.

1.8K Posts

January 18th, 2013 06:00

Hi Oshan,

I appreciate your concern.

It appears to be an issue with drivers/Operating system installed. However, we can give try some more steps. You can open 'Device manager' of computer and change the following options as listed:

• Open 'Device Manager'
  • Expand 'Network Adapters', right click the wireless card and choose 'Properties'
  • Change '802.11h+d' to 'Strict 11h'
  • Change 'Afterburner' to 'Enabled'
  • Change 'Antenna Diversity' to 'Main'
  • Change 'AP Compatibility Mode' to 'Broader Compatibility'
  • Change 'BSS Mode' to '802.11g Mode'
  • Change 'BT-AMP' to 'Enabled'
  • Change 'Fragmentation Threshold' to '2300'
  • Change 'Locally Administered MAC Address' to '1234567890AB'(This step is important)
  • Change 'Minimum Power Consumption' to 'Disabled'
  • Change 'PLCP Header' to 'Long'
  • Change 'Roam Tendency' to 'Aggressive'
  • Change 'Roaming Decision' to 'Optimize Distance'
  • Change 'RTS Threshold' to '2300'
  • Click the 'Power Management' tab
  • Uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'
  • Open 'Power Options'
  • Click 'Change plan settings' for the selected power profile
  • Click 'Change advanced power settings'
  • Under 'Wireless Adapter Settings' , click 'Power Saving Mode' and change the settings to 'Maximum Performance'.

Save changes, once the settings are changed as mentioned above.  

Restart your computer and see if it helps. 

7 Posts

January 18th, 2013 18:00

OK. but before doing this, i need to clear some things.

*i have not installed any network driver now. but network is working FINE as windows automatically installed the Dell Wireless 1702 802.11b/g/n driver. but bluetooth is NOT working.

*do i have to install the network and bluetooth driver before doing this? if so, what driver should i install? i already downloaded the latest driver for my laptop model for windows 8 from here. www.dell.com/.../inspiron-15r-n5110

*after doing that, will bluetooth also work together  with wifi?

thanks.

1.8K Posts

January 23rd, 2013 07:00

Hi Oshan,

You can perform the steps given in previous post and change settings accordingly. The BT-AMP settings in this combo cards enables BlueTooth to support data transfer rates and increases range by using other wireless radio technologies, such as the I.E.E.E. 802.11, as a transport medium. If the issue still persists, you can paste the screenshot of the devices listed under 'Network adapters' in 'Device Manager'.

1 Message

February 5th, 2013 06:00

Hi,
I format my computer,but now i cant instal wireless drivers...cant anybody help me??

btw: sry for bad eng.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 21st, 2013 11:00

This thread will be locked due to age.

If you need further assistance, please create a new thread in the proper Dell Support Forums

Thank you,

Rick

No Events found!