Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2009 07:00

Installing Wireless Network Card Dimension 4700

Hi,

I have a Dimension 4700 put into service Jan 2005.I removed the side panel and have 2 PCI Express slots open (other 2 are filled with ethernet and IEEE ports) and  I am trying to install a D-Link Wireless Network Adapter that I purchased.  However the adapter doesn't seem to fit in the slot (PCI Express x16 x 1).I was told that the adapter was universal and should be installable. Did I get the wrong adapter,  can it be installed there or do I have to remove the IEEE firewire card and install the adapter there?

Thanks

6.4K Posts

April 7th, 2009 08:00

Universal, as applied to PCI cards, means that they will operate with either 5 volt or 3.3 volt signaling.  The card is a standard PCI rather than PCI-e.  If you must use that card you will need to clear one of the standard PCI slots.

You could also consider something like this, however:  D-Link DWA-556.  I know nothing about this particular card; I found it while searching for examples of PCI-e cards.  This one is PCI-e X1.  If you look around you may find other examples.  Good luck!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

X16 Slot is for Video only.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/sm/index.htm

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/sm/techov.htm#wp1052362

The Universal card would go into the PCI 2.2/33mhz slots J7B1 or J8B1

If you have a 4700C thats a totally Different issue.

Expansion Bus

Bus type

PCI 2.2
PCI Express x1 and PCI Express x16

Bus speed

PCI: 33 MHz

PCI Express:

x1 slot bidirectional speed - 500 MB/s

x16 slot bidirectional speed - 8 GB/s

PCI

connectors

two

connector size

120 pins

connector data width (maximum)

32 bits

PCI Express

connector

one PCI Express x1

connector size

36 pins

1 PCI Express lane

PCI Express

connector

one PCI Express x16

connector size

164 pins

16 PCI Express lanes

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

4700C  Has Different Layout.  Universal PCI 2.2 card would not fit there due to needing LOW PROFILE PCIE X1 card.

http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?ID=3288142

Miscellaneous
Included Accessories   Low-profile bracket

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700c/

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700c/en/SM/index.htm

2 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply and the link. I will investigate... 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 7th, 2009 12:00

Removing the firewire card wont hurt anything.

Just follow proper safety like antistatic protection and unplug from the wall before opening the cover.

Before you open the computer cover, perform the following steps in the sequence indicated.

CAUTION: Do not attempt to service the computer yourself, except as explained in your online Dell™ documentation or in instructions otherwise provided to you by Dell. Always follow installation and service instructions closely.
NOTICE: To help avoid possible damage to the system board, wait 5 seconds after turning off the computer before removing a component from the system board or disconnecting a device from the computer.
  1. Perform an orderly computer shutdown using the operating system menu.
  2. Turn off your computer and any devices connected to the computer.
  3. Ground yourself by touching an unpainted metal surface on the chassis, such as the metal around the card-slot openings at the back of the computer, before touching anything inside your computer.

While you work, periodically touch an unpainted metal surface on the computer chassis to dissipate any static electricity that might harm internal components.

1. Disconnect your computer and devices, including the monitor, from their electrical outlets. Also, disconnect any telephone or telecommunication lines from the computer.

Doing so reduces the potential for personal injury or shock.

In addition, take note of these safety guidelines when appropriate:

• When you disconnect a cable, pull on its connector or on its strain-relief loop, not on the cable itself. Some cables have a connector with locking tabs; if you are disconnecting this type of cable, press in on the locking tabs before disconnecting the cable. As you pull connectors apart, keep them evenly aligned to avoid bending any connector pins. Also, before you connect a cable, ensure that both connectors are correctly oriented and aligned.
  • Handle components and cards with care. Do not touch the components or contacts on a card. Hold a card by its edges or by its metal mounting bracket. Hold a component such as a microprocessor chip by its edges, not by its pins.
  CAUTION: There is a danger of a new battery exploding if it is incorrectly installed. Replace the battery only with the same or equivalent type recommended by the manufacturer. Do not dispose of the battery along with household waste. Contact your local waste disposal agency for the address of the nearest battery deposit site.

Protecting Against Electrostatic Discharge

Static electricity can harm delicate components inside your computer. To prevent static damage, discharge static electricity from your body before you touch any of your computer's electronic components, such as the microprocessor. You can do so by touching an unpainted metal surface on the computer chassis.

As you continue to work inside the computer, periodically touch an unpainted metal surface to remove any static charge your body may have accumulated.

You can also take the following steps to prevent damage from electrostatic discharge (ESD):

• Do not remove components from their antistatic packing material until you are ready to install the component in your computer. Just before unwrapping the antistatic packaging, discharge static electricity from your body.
  • When transporting an electrostatic sensitive component, first place it in an antistatic container or packaging.
  • Handle all electrostatic sensitive components in a static-safe area. If possible, use antistatic floor pads and workbench pads.

No Events found!