Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 3rd, 2009 18:00

Installing a new Linkys Etherfast card and it is not working

After having some problems with my internet access I was sold that my internal ethernet card was dead.  I purchased a new Linksys Etherfast card and it is installed and recognized by my Dell Demension 4550.  I plug in the cable and I can not get internat access.  I know it works, because I am using it on my Mac.  HELP.  

14.4K Posts

May 3rd, 2009 18:00

when you plug the cable in are you doing this with the system on or off? If it is on that may be the problem. the router and or modem cannot assign you a DHCP address.

May 3rd, 2009 20:00

You may be on to something.  When I leave the computer on and plug in the line the computer says "accessing IP address" and does not then says limited or no connectivity.  When reboot the computer with the line plugged in the computer recognized both ethernet cards.  In the tool bar it says "connection 6. unplugged" and connection 3, 100 Mbps, limited or no connectivity.  

It is not yet working, and may be tied to it seeing both cards.  Thoughts??

Ron

14.4K Posts

May 4th, 2009 05:00

Having two active connections might be the cause of your issue. I would open the network connections and disable the one that you are not using. Also check the properties of the one you want to use to make sure it is set to obtain ip address automatically.

May 5th, 2009 19:00

I tried disabling the old one and i verified that the new Linksys was set to "acquire IP address automatically", and it still did not work.  Any other suggestions?

No Events found!