Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2008 04:00

Installing broadcom ethernet adaptor

I have done a new installation of windows xp on my desktop. 

but my ethernet adaptor is not working. It keeps telling me it is not installed. 

Does not installed mean it doesn't have the drivers? Or is the installation separate than the driver. 

I can't go online with that computer because the ethernet adaptor is not installed so 

I have tried to download drivers to my laptop and then copy them to a zip drive to transfer them to the desktop commuter. 

So far that doesn't seem to work. 

I can see what the adaptor is in device manager.

Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Adaptor 

How would I get the adaptor working? Thanks        and yes, I am over my head on figuring out this issue. 

3.4K Posts

November 29th, 2008 09:00

Hello,

Your problem might be any easy fix by just installing in the correct order.

I will list the list below. You don't need to reinstall Windows, but make sure you follow the 'safe mode' instructions since the order was not followed in the first place.

Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.

Install your version of Windows.

Install the following software and drivers in the order listed below.

***** 1.***** Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling the operating system or updating all the computer’s drivers, it is imperative that this software be installed first.
Currently, the DSS and NSS are not required for systems with Windows Vista installed. This is located under the System and Configuration Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Adapter Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
5. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
6. Modem - Allows dialup capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
7. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
8. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Mouse & Keyboards Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
9. Other Devices
* Bluetooth Module
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* PCMCIA/Smartcard controller
This is located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Dell drivers and downloads page http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/.

NOTE: If your system download page offers a DSS or NSS file in the 'System and Configuration Utilities' Category. And you have already tried to install some drivers, you will need to reboot in Safe Mode to install the DSS or NSS file, and the chipset. Then reboot the system and install the rest of the drivers in the correct order.

1.7K Posts

December 1st, 2008 10:00

While DBK4297's info is mostly correct there is one minor error (which, I know, is not actually his error :emotion-5:):  There are a few Vista systems that use the Dell Notebook or Desktop System Software.  If your system uses the NSS or DSS, however, you will have problems if you do not install it because it is, essentially, part of the chipset software.

623 Posts

December 1st, 2008 10:00

http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netlink.php

FWIW:  Latest Broadcom gigabit driver...

3.4K Posts

December 1st, 2008 16:00

Larry,

Can you list the Vista systems that do require the *SS software so that I may list them in my FAQ Please? :emotion-55:

Or, do you think that I should remove the Vista note altogether?

1.7K Posts

December 2nd, 2008 13:00

Doing a quick spot check of the latest Inspiron notebooks, it appears all of them use the Dell Notebook System software (even the Mini 12).  I'd say remove the special note about Vista.  When Vista was new, it has the latest support for the hardware, but that isn't always the case now that its been out for a year.  I also saw the same thing when XP was new, by the way.

3.4K Posts

December 2nd, 2008 15:00

Larry,

Thanks for your input.

I 'think' I will just change the note to read, 'Some systems installed with Vista do not have a download for, or require DSS or NSS software.'

What do you think?

1.7K Posts

December 3rd, 2008 07:00

I 'think' I will just change the note to read, 'Some systems installed with Vista do not have a download for, or require DSS or NSS software.'

What do you think?

As long as you have something suggesting people check to see, it sounds good to me. ;)

December 3rd, 2008 19:00

Guys please help me, I'm new to this stuff and have no idea what I'm doing or what any of it is, so I'm lost and confused on all of it.

I am having the same problem. I had to do a system recovery and now it says something about no ethernet controller and could not find an ethernet adapter, so I can not get online at all..

Can you pleaseee help me and take me through it step by step the easiest way you can or I'll get so lost..

I really want my computer back, I hope someone will reply here..

Thanks

Amanda

3 Posts

April 11th, 2009 15:00

OK - here is my Ethernet issue - can't find a great place to post, but this I think will do..

I was just given an Optiplex GX270 that has an Ethernet input...unfortunately it doesn't appear as though the utility for whatever reason is not on the computer (there is no device driver, etc).  I checked the system hardware and it does not appear, then logged in the Service Tag on the Dell website to see about re-downloading the drivers, but still none found for the Ethernet Input/Control.

Is this normal?  I have an Ethernet POrt, but there is no "power" to it and can't hookup a router to get online.  IS there a "generic" driver utitlity that would work?

Any and all help is appreciated.

No Events found!