Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 19th, 2013 02:00

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 issues with Dell XPS 12 (Windows 8 Pro, "Disconnects / Media Disconnected")

I recently purchased a XPS 12 with windows 8 x64 preinstalled. I have not been able to maintain a stable connection to my WLAN. However 7 other devices (laptops etc.) are all connected without problems. Only the troubled computer is running W8. I have the most recent drivers for the Centrino as well as the ProSet and chipset (and everything else) download on 14th March from Dell. Occasionally it connects, but after a few minutes it disconnects again. Sometimes I get Media disconnected and other times a limited connection where the data from the DHCP server could not be collected. Seems very irrational!

The configuration is default from Dell. Any ideas?

8 Posts

March 22nd, 2013 07:00

I downloaded the latest drivers from Intel and did a clean install (actually it only worked after 3 installs!) I also changed the channel on the router to 11. Now it seems to be working. I suspect the problem is caused by the driver in W8, but never the less the drivers offered by Dell did not work

8 Posts

March 19th, 2013 04:00

Further troubleshooting indicates that the problem is obtaining IP from DHCP. The DHCP is on th router (enabled) and works fine with others running XP/w7 and other devices. Also see Intel forum at http://communities.intel.com/thread/31090?start=195&tstart=0

8 Posts

March 19th, 2013 04:00

I forgot to add the my subnet is 255.255.255.0 with IP 10.0.3.1 to 99

8 Posts

March 19th, 2013 08:00

Apparently this is a much more serious issue (see intel forum communities.intel.com/.../31090)

The XPS 12 is a quite expensive system and until now it has been useless and as far as I see the money is wasted! Having been a loyal Dell client for 10 years (professional) I am having second thoughts now as it is not even possible to get a proper solution from Dell Support.

8 Posts

March 19th, 2013 08:00

Also see Intel forum at communities.intel.com/.../31090

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 19th, 2013 12:00

Bjensen,

Here are some things to try.

Start, control panel, network and sharing center, click on your connection, properties. Look for TCP/IPv4 and TCP/IPv6 and have your settings match mine.

Go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number, then select your operating system. Under Network, download and install the latest drivers.

Try these tweaks....

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Go to the power options, and changed the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance.

There is something else to try that may or may not work.

Rick

8 Posts

March 19th, 2013 23:00

Tanks for the suggestions, but I already tried all these and these settings and tweaks are the current ones. I managed a workaround by manually adding the actual IP's in Alternate Configuration which force a connection, but as this is only correct for my home network, it is not ideal. I still need the network connection to connect to the DHCP server to get the correct settings on every network I use.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 20th, 2013 03:00

Bjensen,

I used this adapter a while back and had minimal problems. Did you try downloading the drivers from Dell's website? Dell's drivers are not quite as new as Intel's drivers and the drivers I used worked with no connection problems. I used these Recommended Wireless Router Settings channel 11. I would make a new SSID to make connecting easier.

Go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number, then select your operating system. Under Network, download the latest drivers.

Make a system restore point.

Start, control panel, device manager, network adapter, right click on Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235, left click uninstall. Tell it to remove the drivers and software.

Restart your computer.

When you log back in, the new hardware wizard will try to install the adapter but fail. Install the drivers you saved to your desktop.

Then try to connect.

What happens? You may still have to go to device manager, network adapters, Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235, power management and uncheck the box, allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

8 Posts

March 22nd, 2013 04:00

Tried all above without success. Will now download the drivers from Intel's website as they are slightly newer. Still I find it very strange..... Sometimes it connects and stay connected for 5-10 minutes and then disconnect (Power saving for the card as well as the system has been disabled) and can not connect again. Trying several times sometimes succeed but again only for a short while.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2013 15:00

Intel has new drivers, having mixed reviews. The good reviews, people are getting nice results, the bad ones, still have sporadic connections.

If you decide to try them, create a system restore point first.

Rick

6 Posts

June 2nd, 2013 14:00

It is June 2013 and I'm still having the same issue with my XPS. the wifi connection just not responding until I reconnect.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 2nd, 2013 14:00

zakd,

Did you download the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 drivers and save them to your desktop.

Make a system restore point.

Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, device manager, network adapters, right click on Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235, left click uninstall. Tell it to remove the drivers and software.

Restart your computer.

When you log back in, the new hardware wizard will try to install the adapter, but fail. Install the Intel 6235 drivers saved to your desktop.

Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Go to the power options, and changed the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance.

Rick

6 Posts

June 3rd, 2013 02:00

Did the steps

1. Uninstalling the driver and restarting will successfully reinstall the driver

2. running the wifi setup pops a message saying that it can run only via an Intel ProSet setup and quits

3. I uninstalled Intel ProSet from the system

4. The Driver in the device manager was from 5/12/2011 version 14.8.8.75

5. I updated the driver from the extracted files of the downloaded driver dated 8/22/2012 version 15.3.0.16

feels like back to step 1

Can I just return this laptop ?

6 Posts

June 3rd, 2013 02:00

update: I downloaded a newer driver from intel, from 4/25/2013 version 15.8.0.5

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 3rd, 2013 16:00

zakd,

It seems the newer drivers and Windows 8 sometimes have more connection problems. You may have to use the older drivers to have a more stable connection.

Rick

No Events found!