Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 15th, 2003 22:00

Intel Pro/Wireless 2100 mini PCI card with Linksys BEFW11s4 router

I have a new Inspiron 600m laptop, with the Intel 2100 mini PCI card. I use this both at work and at home. My work 802.11b connection performs flawlessly, however on my home network - which uses a Linksys BEFW11S4 router - the wireless connection is dropped after a certain period of time (usually 30 minutes or so). The laptop can still *see* the network but then is unable to connect to it. Only by resetting the router and the modem am I able to once again connect. Has anybody else experienced a similar problem or have any router/laptop configuration advice?

Thanks,
Jeffrey CDO

183 Posts

May 16th, 2003 01:00

I had this problem once. I disabled windows wifi management, let the Intel software manage the wifi connection. See if that helps, also make sure you have the the newest firmware installed on the router.

10 Posts

May 17th, 2003 08:00

Any advice on how to go about this?  I'm unclear how to differentiate between Windows management of my Wifi connecion and the Intel software..

Thanks,
Jeffrey CDO

10 Posts

May 17th, 2003 20:00

Ah ha!  Thank you Area_51, this really seems to have done the trick.  Here is what I did:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage
2. In Computer Management, double-click Services and Applications in the
console tree, and then click Services
3. In the details pane, right-click Wireless Zero Configuration, then
click Properties
4. In the Startup type box, click Disabled , and then click OK
5. Quit Computer Management, and then restart the computer
6. After restart, to go Control Panel to access the Intel ProSet configuration area, and configure your wireless connection there

Cheers,
Jeff CDO

183 Posts

May 17th, 2003 20:00

Yeah that works too. I went start|control panel|network connections| right click over the wireless network, select properties, select wireless networks tab, uncheck box next to "Use windows to configure my wireless network".

10 Posts

May 18th, 2003 00:00

That is certainly a better way of doing it than I came up with!  Alas it seems this has not fixed my problem either.  While my connection is definitely more stable, it still drops after a period of time, and I'm unable to connect.  After much troubleshooting today I've found that if I simply change the wireless channel on my router, my laptop connection "wakes up" and is enabled again.  It lasts for a while, and then drops.  I'm still stumped.

183 Posts

Hmm, well there goes that theory. Do you have any other devices operating on the 2.4ghz band? Like a cordless phone?

10 Posts

Actually, it's version 4!

183 Posts

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here; is your router version 1? They have a version 1, 2, & 3.

10 Posts

May 18th, 2003 01:00

Nope.  Nothing that would cause an interference problem that I can think of.

183 Posts

May 18th, 2003 01:00

There was one other guy on this forum who had the same problem. He ended up removing and reinstalling the Intel Proset software. That cleared up his connection issues, wouldn't hurt to give it a try. I've run out of other idea's.

10 Posts

May 18th, 2003 07:00

I've tweaked the advanced wireless settings, flashed the firmware of the router, removed and re-installed the Intel software on my laptop, enabled/disabled windows control of the wireless connection, experimented with static vs. dynamic ip address assignment, tried every channel setting on the router.  It's been a looooooong Saturday and I'm exhausted. 

I think I'm just going to get a new router.  If anybody has a suggestion of a BETTER brand than Linksys to work with my Intel wireless card, I'd love to hear it.

Cheers,

Jeff CDO

June 2nd, 2003 18:00

I was having the exact same problem. After delving into the archives here, I tried changing the data rate to 1-2 Mpbs, from 1-2-5.5-11 Mpbs (the TX setting on the Linky's admin page). My wireless connection came back on immediately :)

Don't know if that'll help you. It's actually kind of annoying. Hopefully, there will be a fix soon, either Linky firmware or an Intel driver update.

~ Dave Leichtman

June 3rd, 2003 04:00

Actually, sorry about that. It didn'[t fix my problem. But it did indicate the broader problem. It worked again for a short period of time after I changed the setting and then it stopped working again (say 20 minutes). Changing a setting in the router config actually quickly reboots the router. Recycling the router's power has the same effect. For some reason, when the router is rebooted, the card will pick it up for 20 minutes or so, and then it will drop its connection. Now I nkow the router is working fine because I have other things attached to it and working fine (i.e. maintaining their wireless connections indefinitely). But that puts me back at square one and thinking that there's just some incompatibility with the Linksys router and the Intel card. I have the most current version of everything, so that's not it either. This is highly disappointing. Makes me not want to use more Dell products. This Linksys router (BEFW11S4v4) is a quality product. For the Intel 2100 not to work with it out-of-the-box is ridiculous.

~ Dave Leichtman

5 Posts

July 3rd, 2003 10:00

I agree with Dave and the problems with the Inspiron 600m's Intel PRO wireless Mini PC card.  I was having the exact same problem - a dropped connection after visiting a few websites.  Dell tech support were hopeless and I know that my Linksys router is fine since we have an IBM laptop with a removable wireless card that works flawlessly.

I too spent frustrating hours with telephone tech support to no avail.

I tried changing the channel also.  Linksys support also suggested selecting "antenna diversity ON" from the Advanced, then Wireless tabs of the router's setup pages.

10 Posts

July 3rd, 2003 16:00

I finally have a relatively stable connection after doing three things.
1) Disabling Windows management of the card
2) Unintalling/Reinstalling the Intel Wireless Software
3) Disabling all power management of the card within the Intel software
Of course with all the touted power efficiency of the Centrino system, it's frustrating that I have to disable power management to get it to actually work!

Cheers,
Jeff CDO
No Events found!