Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 15th, 2003 22:00

Intel Pro/Wireless 2100 mini PCI card with Linksys BEFW11s4 router

I have a new Inspiron 600m laptop, with the Intel 2100 mini PCI card. I use this both at work and at home. My work 802.11b connection performs flawlessly, however on my home network - which uses a Linksys BEFW11S4 router - the wireless connection is dropped after a certain period of time (usually 30 minutes or so). The laptop can still *see* the network but then is unable to connect to it. Only by resetting the router and the modem am I able to once again connect. Has anybody else experienced a similar problem or have any router/laptop configuration advice?

Thanks,
Jeffrey CDO

5 Posts

July 3rd, 2003 17:00

I have the original version of the router itself and was running the 1.37.9b version of the router setup thing, prior to the firmware upgrade this morning.

I'm glad that everything's working now for you (and me!!).

5 Posts

I finally got the Intel PRO wireless card to work this morning after a week of fiddling; I upgraded my router's firmware, disabled the Windows management of the card, and deleted the Intel PRO set software off the computer (that was tech support's brilliant idea).

I still can't believe that the laptop didn't work out of the box and it was only through this forum that I was able to try a few new ideas - so much for DELL wireless tech support!

Linksys make an excellent router and I've never had problems with it; wish I could say the same for the 600m.

Unfortunately, V4 of the Linksys doesn't have a firmware upgrade yet, and they wouldn't give me the beta version.

I switched to V1 of the Netgear MR814. Once the firmware was upgraded, I had no problems.

2 Posts

July 5th, 2003 17:00

Thanks for the info. I also have the old linksys. You inspired me to flash bios.Everything works now without doing any other changes. Everything is right out of the box, I think. I still can't get WEP to work! Does your WEP work.

5 Posts

July 6th, 2003 17:00

Yes, WEP is enabled and working now on my system but like you, I did have problems with that before I upgraded my firmware and made the other changes.

I think the way I set it up was to go into the Advanced properties of the wireless network connection settings on the laptop and checked off the box for obtaining a WEP key automatically at the bottom and then putting in the password that I used to generate the WEP key in the router settings.

I'll double check that's how I have it set up and get back to you.

4 Posts

July 6th, 2003 19:00

Go to Control Panel, System, Hardware Tab, Device Manager, Network Adapters, Intel ProWireless, and right-click for Properties. Now select the Advanced Tab, choose Power Management, disable Default and move the slider to Highest.

Let me know if that solves your problem, as it did for my netgear 618v2 router.

2 Posts

July 7th, 2003 00:00

My bad. I did turn off power mgmt. I enabled ssid for a little bit of security. I will try WEP on Monday.  Does anyone have a router that really works with all the goodies enabled, ex. pwr mgmt. WEP etc. with Centrino?

1 Message

July 9th, 2003 01:00

Yes, I just received the 600m with integrated mini PCi wireless card.

After xp configuration, the ping loss was 25%-75%, practically useless.

So, after turning off XP's default wireless management tool, and

using Intel ProSet to set up, right click Intel Proset from Control Panel

on Adapter tab, set Power Management to Manual

set Transmission Power to 100%

It works like a charm. 

July 9th, 2003 01:00

Am I the only one that thinks that setting transmission power to 100% is not "working like a charm"? The whole point of the mobile chipset is smart power management. Setting the transmission power at 100% manually completely overrides that "smart" power usage that's supposed to save battery life. Anyway, everything works fine (like it's supposed to) now that I returned the Linksys and got an older version (v1) of the Netgear MR814.

July 10th, 2003 00:00

The "centrino" designation was never designed to dynamically manage wireless power output to conserve battery life. This is a concept introduced by the manner in which it was marketed.

The chipset and processor are the items in the "centrino" designation that introduce the power saving features...and for that matter, they work really well. But because Wi-Fi technology is the biggest buzz word in the computer industry right now, Intel jumped on the bandwagon by bundling the Intel Pro 2100 with their Banias processor and chipset to produce "Centrino". Which they then marketed as a processor, chipset and wireless solution intricately designed to reduce power output and provide an integrated wireless networking solution.

The Intel Pro 2100 adapter, like all other wireless adapters, will work better when you turn off power management and set power output to 100%. This is true of other wireless adapters as well, although the results are more pronounced with some then with others.

Since the dawn of wireless networking, power management and wireless adapters have disagreed.

But basically what is my point to this? The point is...there is no reason to order the Intel Pro 2100 adapter...except that you get the Centrino sticker then. For the same price that you got the intel pro 2100, you could have gotten a Dell Truemobile 1300 802.11b/g adapter with more capabilities.

The ironic part about all of this? 802.11g networks actually do use about half the power of 802.11b...so the tm1300 in 802.11g mode uses less power then the intel pro 2100...

Funny ain't it?

WirelessHelp - Just lending a hand

1 Message

July 13th, 2003 03:00

After reading through this forum and trying out all suggestions.. I finally have a Network connection that does not break .. Thanks for those posts and here is my experience ..

NOTE TO DELL : Can you please change whatever is necessary while building the system to avoid customer dissatisfaction with Dell/Intel/Linksys/NetGear/Dlink .. so many others..

I got my 600 M 3 days back. with Intel Pro 2100 A Mini PCI Card built-in..

I bought a NetGear MR814 V2.. for $ 59 (after $20 rebate) @ Circuit City.

Connection went down

1. After 20-30 seconds (the network adapter, battery to perfromance balance was near highest battery, so got lowest performence !!).

2. After every 4-5 minutes, connection would go down for a couple of seconds(sometimes more!).. this took 1 full day to fix !! These are the things i did in that orer at the end of which it is working fine..

- went to Netgear website and made sure I have the latest firmware

- opened adapter properties "Wireless Networks" tab and unchecked, use windows to configure .. blah..blah - i don't know how this helps..
     - Opened Control Panel -> Network Connections -> wireless network Properties ->
       "Wireless Networks" tab and unchecked "Use windows to configure my wireless network".

- Opened Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services and disabled - " Windows Services manager and disabled "Windows Zero Configuration", apparently Intel Pro has its own Windows Zero config service .. - I THINK THIS IS WHAT DID THE TRICK..

- Instead of DHCP on my laptop, specified 192.168.0.3 as IP and 192.168.0.1 for default gateway the Netgear router.. (these are Netgear defaults). - Again I don't know how this helps..

==================================================

There were other things in the forum from increasing "preamble length" on the router (my Netgear does not have this), decreasing data rate to 1 Mbps (again didn't find this on my NetGear) to getting another card, but I didn't have to do anything more..

After spending so much time, I just wanted to put this down for someone to use.. If you still have trouble write to me at gmu9@attbi.com, I can try to help for similar configuration.

===========

For all the trouble, blame Microsoft XP :) its not your router, it is not Intels mini PCI / Centrino :)

4 Posts

July 13th, 2003 18:00

Thanks for posting your solution, that is wonderful advice.

However, I don't use Intel's net config utility, I use windows instead and it works fine too, as long as its just one service that is configuring the card its fine.

Message Edited by Technole on 07-13-2003 02:22 PM

1 Message

July 26th, 2003 03:00

I have seen a variety of solutions, most  of which didn't seem to clear up the problem. I originally added a WAP 11 to my BEFSR41 and only had the 600m on wireless so I couldn't be sure where the problem was. I then added the second wireless system and had the same problems with it. I then replaced those units with the Linksys BEFW11S4 Version 4 and the problems got even worse it would work for maybe thirty minutes and then lock up. I called LinkSys tech support and got an honest tech. He told me I shouldn't fool around with it anymore but instead should just call customer service for an RMA and specify that I wanted a version 2 model. He told me that they had been having major problems with the version 4 and some problems with the 3.8. I followed his instructions, got my version 2 last week ( which by the way is a nicer unit than the version 4, more connections, more indicator lights) and it has performed flawlessly. I have had ZERO problems with my wireless connections. My advice, don' t buy the version 4 yet (Linksys is good I'm sure they'll get the bugs worked out) and if you have one get it replaced with a version 2. Hope this helps.

Rick

Dell 600m, 1.3GHz, 40GB HDD, DVD/CD-RW, 32MB Grapics, Intel 2100, Win XP Pro. Other systems on the network are an old iMac 400MHz G3, 10GB, 1GB RAM, OS 10.2, Compaq Presario 5000, 1.05 GHz AMD Duron with 768MB RAM, 32MB ATI Radeon 7500, 30GB HDD, Win XP Pro, and a generic system with parts from many systems

6 Posts

July 29th, 2003 03:00

If you want to solve (like 80%)your 600m Intel woes, uninstall the 600m proset tools and download the intel proset drivers for the D800 and install it on the 600m.. i posted this info a while back..for me it works very good..i saw a great improvement...give it a try..............my post is somewhere in this forum and in the general hardware forum..

10 Posts

August 6th, 2003 05:00

Heads up!  There is new firmware for the BEFW11s4 router as of Aug 1.  Among the listed issues is "Fixed connection issues with certain wireless clients in power save mode"  As some here have reported reverting to an earlier version of the router has helped them, perhaps this might be of some use.

Cheers,

Jeff CDO

No Events found!