Area_51
2 Iron

Re: Intel Pro/Wireless 2100 mini PCI card with Linksys BEFW11s4 router

There was one other guy on this forum who had the same problem. He ended up removing and reinstalling the Intel Proset software. That cleared up his connection issues, wouldn't hurt to give it a try. I've run out of other idea's.
0 Kudos
jeffcdo
1 Nickel

I've tweaked the advanced wireless settings, flashed the firmware of the router, removed and re-installed the Intel software on my laptop, enabled/disabled windows control of the wireless connection, experimented with static vs. dynamic ip address assignment, tried every channel setting on the router.  It's been a looooooong Saturday and I'm exhausted. 

I think I'm just going to get a new router.  If anybody has a suggestion of a BETTER brand than Linksys to work with my Intel wireless card, I'd love to hear it.

Cheers,

Jeff CDO

0 Kudos
sinapse_code
1 Copper

I was having the exact same problem. After delving into the archives here, I tried changing the data rate to 1-2 Mpbs, from 1-2-5.5-11 Mpbs (the TX setting on the Linky's admin page). My wireless connection came back on immediately Smiley Happy

Don't know if that'll help you. It's actually kind of annoying. Hopefully, there will be a fix soon, either Linky firmware or an Intel driver update.

~ Dave Leichtman

0 Kudos
sinapse_code
1 Copper

Actually, sorry about that. It didn'[t fix my problem. But it did indicate the broader problem. It worked again for a short period of time after I changed the setting and then it stopped working again (say 20 minutes). Changing a setting in the router config actually quickly reboots the router. Recycling the router's power has the same effect. For some reason, when the router is rebooted, the card will pick it up for 20 minutes or so, and then it will drop its connection. Now I nkow the router is working fine because I have other things attached to it and working fine (i.e. maintaining their wireless connections indefinitely). But that puts me back at square one and thinking that there's just some incompatibility with the Linksys router and the Intel card. I have the most current version of everything, so that's not it either. This is highly disappointing. Makes me not want to use more Dell products. This Linksys router (BEFW11S4v4) is a quality product. For the Intel 2100 not to work with it out-of-the-box is ridiculous.

~ Dave Leichtman

0 Kudos
bunchface
1 Nickel

I agree with Dave and the problems with the Inspiron 600m's Intel PRO wireless Mini PC card.  I was having the exact same problem - a dropped connection after visiting a few websites.  Dell tech support were hopeless and I know that my Linksys router is fine since we have an IBM laptop with a removable wireless card that works flawlessly.

I too spent frustrating hours with telephone tech support to no avail.

I tried changing the channel also.  Linksys support also suggested selecting "antenna diversity ON" from the Advanced, then Wireless tabs of the router's setup pages.

0 Kudos
jeffcdo
1 Nickel

I finally have a relatively stable connection after doing three things.
1) Disabling Windows management of the card
2) Unintalling/Reinstalling the Intel Wireless Software
3) Disabling all power management of the card within the Intel software
Of course with all the touted power efficiency of the Centrino system, it's frustrating that I have to disable power management to get it to actually work!

Cheers,
Jeff CDO
0 Kudos
bunchface
1 Nickel

I finally got the Intel PRO wireless card to work this morning after a week of fiddling; I upgraded my router's firmware, disabled the Windows management of the card, and deleted the Intel PRO set software off the computer (that was tech support's brilliant idea).

I still can't believe that the laptop didn't work out of the box and it was only through this forum that I was able to try a few new ideas - so much for DELL wireless tech support!

Linksys make an excellent router and I've never had problems with it; wish I could say the same for the 600m.

0 Kudos
sinapse_code
1 Copper

Unfortunately, V4 of the Linksys doesn't have a firmware upgrade yet, and they wouldn't give me the beta version.

I switched to V1 of the Netgear MR814. Once the firmware was upgraded, I had no problems.

0 Kudos
bunchface
1 Nickel

I have the original version of the router itself and was running the 1.37.9b version of the router setup thing, prior to the firmware upgrade this morning.

I'm glad that everything's working now for you (and me!!).

0 Kudos
boatsdtd
1 Copper

Thanks for the info. I also have the old linksys. You inspired me to flash bios.Everything works now without doing any other changes. Everything is right out of the box, I think. I still can't get WEP to work! Does your WEP work.

0 Kudos