Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2007 11:00

Intel Pro Wireless 2915ABG Wireless Card not working

Hi,

I have the wireless card listed above on my Inspiron6000 notebook. All was working fine until I hooked up my DLink router at my new place. I had connected with this network before at my old house, no problems. Now, all the sudden the wireless connection shuts on and off at whim, doesn't recognize any networks in range (even though I have used another computer in the next room to access the wireless network provided by my DLink router) and even when it does choose to connect I can't usually pull up a webpage. I took it in to Staples and had some work done including removing viruses, running system restore, and adding MS office, but no resolution to my wireless problem. Took it in again and they say the hardware is bad, and it is unforunately integrated into my motherboard so it would be $300-$400 to fix. Now, I could just buy the insertable wireless card, but I really prefer the integrated into the shell kind.
Also I know it's not my router cause other computers have no problem, and my computer will no longer pick up the wireless network at school either, not just my home one.

My questions:
Anyone have any ideas to try and fix this?
Is my wireless card really attached to my motherboard?

Thanks so much!

28K Posts

August 21st, 2007 15:00

Since you say you had to clean up a a bunch of viruses, the software environment of your computer is the first suspect rather than the hardware.  Do you have problems if you connect to the router by wired etherent?  If you boot to Safe Mode with Network support, do the problems go away.  These are basic troubleshooting steps to help narrow the cause of the problem.

By the way, the wireless card is a MinPCI card that inserts in a slot accessible in most cases through a door in the bottom of the computer.  It is easily replaceable and is not part of the motherboard.

Steve

Message Edited by volcano11 on 08-21-2007 11:29 AM

28K Posts

August 22nd, 2007 21:00

Try opening the Intel ProSet utility and running the diagnostics on the wireless network adapter.

Steve

3 Posts

August 22nd, 2007 21:00

No, I don't have the problem when connecting through wired ethernet that is run through the router. I booted in safe mode with networking and still had the same problem, no wireless networks found in range, even though the device is listed as working properly per the device manager and I repaired the wireless connection, which did not work because "the wireless network was unavailable."

Any more ideas?

Thanks

3 Posts

August 23rd, 2007 11:00

Everything on my computer says all is well with the adapter and working properly. The IntelPro Wireless troubleshooter says no issues identified. But I still do not detect any wireless networks in range. And I know there are. Mine, plus several other ones (password protected albeit), because I live in an apartment complex where there are multiple networks in range typically.

I think I am going to have to break down and buy a new adapter.
Wonder if I can put it in myself.
Do you think maybe un-installing and re-installing the driver might help?

28K Posts

August 23rd, 2007 12:00

Yes, you should try to uninstall, then reinstall the drivers.   First, download the latest drivers and have them ready:

Boot into Safe Mode, open Device Manager, expand the listing for Network Adapters, right click the wireless adapter, then select Uninstall.  Restart the computer, cancel the New Hardware Wizard if it runs, then run the driver installation file to install the new drivers.

Replacing the MiniPCI card wireless adapter is fairly easy.  See the following:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Steve
No Events found!