Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 31st, 2008 14:00

Intel wireless 5100 will not connect to N

I just got a new Dell Studio 1537 which happens to be equiped with an Intel 5100 b/g/n wireless card.  I am able to see more networks then before and my own network is stronger, but I am still only connecting at 54 mbs.  When I go into Device Manager, it shows N settings for my card and says that it is an N card.  However when changing my home router to N only it lost my connection.  It can see the network and see that it's a N network and list the correct SSID and security type, but it will not connect.  Anyone else have a problem with this or know what to do to resolve it?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 1st, 2009 11:00

JaxOn,

When you're on your laptop, you said that you can see other networks, which make ma believe that the problem id in your wireless router. A quick test would be to try connecting at a hot spot and see if you can connect.

I would probably try resetting the wireless router and start over using these recommended settings.

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed.

Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)

Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(WPA Personal). Most wireless devices work best with this type of security.

Mixed b and g mode(n if available)

Use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels.

Save and exit. Power everything off for 30 seconds. Power everything back on, wait 30 seconds, now try to connect.

If using any type of wireless devices, they will also need to be changed.

Rick

1 Message

January 1st, 2009 23:00

yup,i absolutely agree what are PudgyOne sayong..i have the wireless connection problem before. After i updated the router firmware then all problem already recover...thanks alot PudgyOne:emotion-2:

4 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 15:00

Thanks for the reply.

I have reset the router, a Linksys WRT300N, it already had the latest firmware version of 1.03.6.  I tried it right then, again, my computer saw it as a wireless-N network.  I connected, sitting a foot away from the router, and still only connected at 54 mbps.  I went and double checked the settings, renammed it, resecured it, tested again, same thing.  I have two other routers in the house, both wireless g only, and they both connect fine.

I checked and I still have the latest version of the driver on support.dell.com and had the same.  Intel had a little newer version, I installed it, rebooted, tested, still 54mbps. 

Any other ideas?

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2009 14:00

I found this on the Intel website:

Symptom(s):
Client device's WiFi data rate will not exceed 54 Mbps when Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) or Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP) encryption is configured.

Cause:

The IEEE* 802.11n Draft prohibits using High Throughput with WEP or TKIP as the unicast cipher. If you use these encryption methods (e.g. WEP, WPA-TKIP), your data rate will drop to 54 Mbps. The Intel® WiMAX/WiFi Link 5350, Intel® WiFi Link 5300, Intel® WiFi Link 5100 and Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN client drivers connect using a legacy IEEE 802.11g connection rather than failing to connect altogether, which complies with the IEEE 802.11n draft.

Solution:

Contact your WiFi access point (AP) or router manufacturer to download the latest firmware version, or to obtain information on particular models supporting High Throughput.
Disable 'packet bursting' or similar feature that may be enabled on the AP or router.
Configure the WiFi client device's profile to use Wi-Fi Protected Access* (WPA2-AES or WPA2-TKIP). You may also choose to configure an unsecured profile, but this option is NOT recommended.
Configure the AP or router to match the client profile.

Note: Some AP or router manufacturers may not have updated firmware solutions for devices sold outside of the United States.

This applies to: Intel® WiFi Link 5100
Intel® WiFi Link 5300
Intel® WiMAX/WiFi Link 5350
Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

Looks like I am out of luck unless I go unsecure, I would use WPA2 but the Xbox 360 cannot connect then.  I even tried WPA with AES, it still doesn't like that.

2 Posts

January 19th, 2009 17:00

I have a vaio fw180d with intel wifi link 5100 driver version 12.0.0.73 and a linksys gigabit router WRT310N Firmware Version: v1.0.06. I spent many hours trying to get them to connect at the decent 130 or 270 mbps  as advertized. There is a way to make it work but it's not always repeatable ( maybe due to interference from other devices, neighbors?)

In the router page under "Basic Wireless settings" settings as follows

Wireless Configuration: Manual 
    Network Mode: Wireless N Only
    Network Name (SSID):  ABAKJASHDKJA
    Radio Band: Wide - 40 MHz Channel
    Wide Channel: 3
    Standard Channel: 1- 2.412GHZ
    SSID Broadcast:   Enabled 

Disable frame burst:

Frame Burst:   Disabled

Set security:

Security Mode: WPA2 Personal

Encryption: AES

Key Renewal: 3600  seconds

On the 5100 I changed the channel width for band 2.4 to Auto.

I rebooted many times afterwards but it would only connect at 65mbps or lower, until the next morning it connected at 130mbps all by itself. Weird! So the conclusion is that there are other factors other than the router/wifi settings that affect the connection speed   

2 Posts

July 16th, 2009 17:00

It is a lost cause.  This is an Intel issue.  As far as I can tell, there is no success in getting an Intel WiFi 5100 to hook up to a wireless-N network.  Has anyone had any luck with the Intel WiFi 5300 card and wireless-N?

10 Posts

September 21st, 2009 01:00

I agree - What did you do in the end ?  I am going to try and get dell to replace the 5100 with a different card under warranty

2 Posts

September 24th, 2009 15:00

Dell replaced the Intel card with one of their Dell branded wifi cards.  I also turned off the WMM support in the QoS section of the router.  I now consistently hook up at 270mbps on wireless-N.

4 Posts

September 25th, 2009 10:00

I believe I got a driver that fixed the issue.  I've changed a lot since first writing this, I got a new router, D-Link DIR-825 also I have been running Windows 7 since RTM.  Before I put 7 on I was not having an issue with N unless it was a 5ghz network, the rang was surprisingly short.  Since Windows 7 I am connected at the full speed of N and my range on 5ghz is much better.

1 Message

December 20th, 2009 03:00

I had luck with the 5100 on an HP laptop and the wrt310n linksys router by chaning the following settings... in the hardware properties of your wireless card change the 2.4ghz to auto then change this on the router:

WPA2 Security

AES encryption

as seen above the intel cards have a problem with TKIP encryption so after I changed it to AES I now have a connection at 135mbps.

hope this helps although a little late....

1 Message

January 17th, 2010 18:00

I have the same problem.  I have tried everything suggested above but it still didn't improve the connection speed. The driver is up to date according to Dell's system diagnosis.  Please help!  I have the following hardware:

INtel wireless 5100 AGN card

Studio 1745

Dlink DIR-655 router.

I plugged in my Mac and it's connecting at wireless N (~144MBps)  but the Dell is only connecting at wireless G (54Mbps).

1 Message

January 28th, 2010 09:00

after spending all day trying just about every setting manually on my wrt160nv2 i gave up , i managed to get 65-135mbps with a very good/excellent  signal.

so i set my wireless settings to manual / network mode mixed. radio band auto wide channel auto standard channel auto ssid broadcast. now its getting 130-150mbps

be warned i found that when the signal drops to good it means nothing the speed tapers off dramatically to around 6-15mbps worse than the old 1394g card

No Events found!