Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 19th, 2013 11:00

Internet Dropoff

Can anybody PLEASE help, this has been driving me absolutely nuts. I keep losing my internet connection for no apparent reason. The connection will fail for a few seconds and then reconnect. I have tried uninstalling and re installing the network adapter, I've tried all available channels with my internet provider, I've disabled side scaling. My wife has no problem with her laptop and we are both in the same room. I even lose connection when I'm not on the internet and the only way I can maintain a constant connection is by ethernet cable which sort of defeats the object of wi-fi, PLEASE PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN.

1.5K Posts

June 19th, 2013 11:00

Hi moxy5760,

Please share the system model and operating system installed. Also paste a screenshot of ‘Device Manager’ with ‘Network Adapters’ expended.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you. 

8 Posts

June 19th, 2013 12:00

8 Posts

June 19th, 2013 12:00

Thanks Amogh, the model is the Inspiron N7110 and the operating system is Windows 7.

1.5K Posts

June 20th, 2013 08:00

Hi moxy5760,

You may try to make changes to wireless card settings. Please follow the steps below:

• Open Device Manager
  • Expand Network Adapters, right click the wireless card and choose Properties
  • Click the Advanced tab
  • Disable 802.11b Preamble to Long
  • Change Receive Buffers to 300
  • Change Transmit Buffers to 500
  • Click the Power management tab
  • Uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist further.

8 Posts

June 20th, 2013 11:00

Thank you very much Amogh, will give it a try and let you know.

8 Posts

June 21st, 2013 01:00

Hi Amogh, I tried the configuration as you suggested but the problem still exists I'm afraid.

1.5K Posts

June 21st, 2013 07:00

Hi moxy5760,

You may check the system in ‘Safe Mode with Networking’. Please follow the steps below:

• Restart or Power on the system.
  • Tap at dell logo until ‘Advanced Boot Options’ appear.
  • Choose ‘Safe Mode with Networking’ and hit .

You may try to disable the firewall and check if the internet is working fine. Please refer to the link: http://bit.ly/17rLszJ.

8 Posts

June 22nd, 2013 02:00

Hi Amogh, it seems to be working fine in safe mode.

1.5K Posts

June 22nd, 2013 11:00

Hi moxy5760,

You may try creating a new user account with administrative rights. Please refer to the link: http://bit.ly/VNSBTb.

Please let me know about the internet performance in normal mode after disabling the firewall.

1 Message

June 23rd, 2013 13:00

My new dell does the same thing except I have to constantly restart the laptop to be able to reconnect to the internet.  Sometimes it only lasts a few minutes before it drops the strong internet signal for no reason.

8 Posts

June 24th, 2013 00:00

Hi Amogh, I tried creating a new user account yesterday and the problem still exists and I've allready tried disabling the firewall with the same result. I even tried a complete reformat yesterday and went back to factory default and still the problem exists. I've done the diagnostic on the network adapter and everything is in working order.

1.5K Posts

June 25th, 2013 07:00

Hi Gold69vette,

Please share the system model and the operating system. Please paste a screenshot of ‘Device Manager’ with ‘Network Adapters’ expended.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist further.

1.5K Posts

June 25th, 2013 08:00

Hi moxy5760,

You may try to disable the Bluetooth and check if that makes any difference in the internet speed. You may go to ‘Control Panel’-> ‘Windows Mobility Center’ and turn off the Bluetooth.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you. 

No Events found!