Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2009 07:00

Internet connected but can't open browser?!?

I am using a Dimension 5150 with Windows XP. I didn't have any problems getting online at all at first then all of a sudden when I brought the browser up to enter a web address it would say the page could not be displayed. I went a ran a diagnostic test and it says that there is a problem with the conection form the modem to the computer. I went and bought a new USB cable just in case, but it still didn't work.  I double checked all the connections. The cables are all secure! The internet is connected because I can run other programs (Neterprise) for work that require the internet.  I just can't seem to connect to the www.  The anti-virus program is up to date.  I'm not real sure what other problem this could be.  This has been going on for about 4-6 weeks.  Can anyone help me??  I'm not very computer literate....any help would be appreciated!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 24th, 2009 19:00

Rose4734,

What browser are you using? If Internet Explorer, did you try disabling all the add-on and see if it works?

Did you try using Mozilla Firefox? Does it connect?

Rick

3 Posts

February 25th, 2009 04:00

Yes, I'm using Internet Explorer.  How do I disable the add-on?? 

I haven't tried Mozilla Firefox.  I'll try that this afternoon and let you know.  Thanks for the response!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 25th, 2009 05:00

Rose,

Let me see if I can get the instructions for you. I do most of my surfing using Mozilla Firefox and when I need to, I use IE Tab add-on to do the rest of my surfing. I like Mozilla Firefox better because it's safer to use and you can use different add-ons and make it look pretty, also.

Open Internet Explorer, click on tools, manage add-ons, enable or disable add-ons. Then click on each add-on and click the disable button. Do this for all the add-ons and then restart Internet Explorer. What happens? If it works, then you can try adding the add-ons back, one at a time until you find out which one(s) are causing the problems.

Rick

1.1K Posts

February 25th, 2009 06:00

If disabling ADD-ONs does not work, or if using FIREFOX gives you the same PAGE CAN NOT BE DISPLAYED error.  Try this.

Click START, click RUN, type CMD and then under the CMD window type netsh winsock reset catalog.  Then restart computer.  You need not type it in italics, I just did that for ease so you could see what to type.  This resets the winsock files that can sometimes become corrupt from installation of software or malware.   Also, it sets them to defaults so any third party lsps such as google search, etc will be gone, so you'll need to reinstall. 

Be aware that any  programs that access or monitor the Internet such as antivirus, firewall, or proxy clients may be negatively affected when you run the netsh winsock reset command. If you have a program that no longer functions correctly after you use this resolution, reinstall the program to restore functionality.

If you are curious as to what might be reset under the CMD window type netsh winsock show catalog.  This will display the LSP (Layered Service Providers) that you have on your system.

It's a command to be used with care, but in the end if your connecting to your network,  but not the internet,  who cares what resets?  The important thing is to get back on the internet.

3 Posts

February 25th, 2009 12:00

Any other suggestions??  It seems that neither of the above suggestions worked.  I tried both at least twice to make sure I did it right and then restarted the internet/computer.  I'm still getting the same message.  It seems like it's close to coming up if that makes any sense.  Usually after I connect to the internet I get the "page cannot be displayed" on the internet's homepage but know it's there actual homepage coming up.  Thanks for your help!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 25th, 2009 13:00

Rose,

This just started happening, correct? If so, use System Restore and go back to the restore point before the Windows Updates. I had this issue earlier and the only way I could get back on was to go back before Windows Updates and I got back on.

Rick

No Events found!