Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2009 07:00

Internet connection lost when docked using cable

Hi,

I'm using a d/port on a d/view and all connectors are fine, except the network cable one which has stopped working, I've changed the cable and it has made no difference.  I can connect wirelessly, but my connection drops a fair bit so I prefer the stability of the ethernet cable.

I've also got a new D/dock that I'm reluctant to use as I can't use it with a d/view and also when I dock the laptop screen goes blank (black) and FN/F8 doesn't help.

I'd like to be able to continue using the d/port with both cable and wireless if anyone can offer any advice, otherwise how can I get the screen up on the new d/dock.

Thanks, MaisyDoo

1.7K Posts

January 8th, 2009 12:00

The network connection (well, all connections) on a D-Port are just pass through connections from the docked computer, so I would recommend testing the computer off the dock on a network cable to see if it works that way or not.  If you have another computer with a known good network adapter you can try it on the dock to see if its network connection also fails (it might be a problem with the D-Port, after all).

As for the D-Dock, it sounds like the hardware profile has the wrong video settings.  Try docking it and starting in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking.  You should be able to set your video settings and then reboot to fix the problem.  At worst you will have to delete the docked profile used when the computer is connected to the D-Dock.  The steps for that, assuming you are running XP, are:

1. Undock the computer and power on.
  2. Open up the Hardware Profile window (Control Panel > System > Hardware tab> Hardware Profiles button)
  3. Delete the Docked profile (or the -other- profile if they aren't labeled as Docked and Undocked).
  4. Power down the computer
  5. Dock the computer and power on.
  6. Let it rebuild the hardware profile for the Docked connection (shouldn't be more than a normal boot up sequence)
  7. Power down so it saves the settings.

If you are running Vista then unfortunately I'm not sure how to delete the docked hardware profile, as Microsoft has made changes to that section of the OS.  If you need help with that post back and someone here (or one of my coworks) might be able to help.

2 Posts

January 9th, 2009 00:00

Hi Larry R

I'll try the video settings, as I am using XP.  Also the laptop works fine connected through a network cable by itself, so it does look like there is an issue with the D-Port.

1.7K Posts

January 9th, 2009 12:00

If the D-Port was purchased with the system then it would use the same hardware warranty.  If it was purchased separately then I believe (but am not sure) that it has either a 90 day or 1 year hardware warranty -- its been a while since I looked into the warranty limitations as I am not directly part of tech support any more.

No Events found!