Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

October 3rd, 2009 07:00

Internet connectivity with new Belkin N+ Router

I just purchased a Belkin N+ wireless router. I installed as directed, and have excellent internet connectivity with both my Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop (XP Pro OS) and Dell Mini 10 (XP OS), as well as the wife's Mac Book running Mac OS 10.2.  My problem is my one desktop in the house, an Inspiron 530 (running Vista), sees the router, says it's connected, but I get no internet.

Belkin Tech support said to disable all firewalls, anti-virus, adware, etc., which I have done. After numerous calls, I still can not get internet connectivity with the desktop. Any ideas?

4 Posts

October 3rd, 2009 10:00

Same problem, different equipment. I have an Inspiron 600m that will connect to my wireless network but won't permit access to the internet. I have an Acer laptop and an ipod touch which both will connect to the internet through the wireless router. I connected the Inspiron to the router via the ethernet cable and it connects correctly to the internet. However, when I remove the ethernet cable and the laptop sets up a wireless connection, the internet connection is lost. My last try was to upgrade the driver on the 2915ABG chipset. Still no internet connection.

I looked at the IP addresses on both the inspiron and the acer. The inspiron was 192.168.1.3 and the acer was 192.168.1.4. All the other entries except for the physical address and the chipsets of course were the same.

I'm using a Netgear wgr614 v5 wireless router.

4 Posts

October 3rd, 2009 12:00

No. I'm running XP Home.

As I've been trying everything I know to solve the problem I've noticed that occasionally after starting firefox that a page will begin loading and the connection speed will be 54mb. The speed then begins to drop and the page stops loading. If I stop the loading and go to another page, the connection times out or I get the message "address not found."

4 Posts

Is your 600M running on Vista?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

dwhee87,

You can try by looking at...

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

I usually recommend using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in your wireless router. Do you have a dual broadcast router? If so, then make a seperate SSID and different name, for the N broadcast.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2009 17:00

try updating the firmware in the wireless router at the manufacturers website.

Rick

4 Posts

October 3rd, 2009 17:00

I re-loaded the current firmware. No change. The firmware is the most current version - according to the manufacturer's website.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2009 18:00

Try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in your wireless router.

Rick

4 Posts

October 4th, 2009 06:00

Rick,

I went through all the suggestions in your post (router settings, registry edits, etc.) to no avail. Anything else in your bag of tricks?

David

4 Posts

October 4th, 2009 10:00

Hi all,

Maybe not the solution you were looking for, but I took the Belkin N+ router back, bought a Netgear B/G router that specifically said "Vista Compatible" on the box. Followed the install/setup guide, and everything was working like a champ within 10 minutes.

My suggestion is ditch the Belkin, step down to a B/G router, and hopefully, you'll be able to "plug n play".

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 4th, 2009 14:00

David,

I don't have a wireless N router yet but will consider getting one in the near future. I would get a dual band router when it transmits two signals, one for wireless B/G 2.4gh and one for wireless N 5.8gh.

Wonder if the different frequencies is causing your problem. Did you look in the settings and see if you can setup the router for all frequencies?

Rick

4 Posts

October 5th, 2009 20:00

Since nothing I've done has solved the problem - last time I started the laptop I was able to view my homepage; when I went to another page, the browser timed out - I thought the problem might be with the wireless chipset. I ran the Intel diagnostic troubleshooter. All categories "passed"  except the ping test. The error was "Response: DHCP Server  No Response: default gateway"

No Events found!