Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

January 17th, 2007 23:00

Is there a way to disable wireless automatically when connecting to Ethernet and vice versa?

I have a C640 and I recently updated the drivers for my Wireless PCMCIA card.

Prior to updating the drivers, whenever I docked the laptop - the wireless card was automatically disabled and my ethernet cable connect took over. This same behaviour happened when I connected an ethernet cable to the ethernet port on the side of the laptop.

Since the driver update, I dock/or connect the ethernet cable, and my router assigns two IP addresses through the DCHP and the laptop has both connections going.

Is there any way to make it automatically switch between the connections?

I've tried everything I can think of - even downgrading the driver for me wireless card and it still doesn't work.

Help!?!

January 18th, 2007 01:00

I don't believe that is correct (re dock vs. not docked profiles)

Previously my computer would automatically disable the wireless adapter once an ethernet connection.

any other suggestions?

12K Posts

Those settings should reside within your Docked and Undocked profiles.

29 Posts

I do not know of an automated way to do this.  I do use both wired and wireless connections, but I keep the one I use the least disabled until I need it.  No IP address will be assigned to the disabled connection.  I rarely use both at the same time.

12K Posts

You still only have one live IP Address from the ISP, maybe two from the router, but the thruput is not be doubled. Hit F2 to disable the wireless.

Either thru a profile setting on the hardware side of thru the card is the only automated way for this to happen.

Message Edited by jmwills on 01-18-200704:33 AM

28K Posts

January 18th, 2007 03:00

Try this.  Open Device Manager, expand the listing for Network Adapters, right click your wireless adapter and choose Properties, the click on the Advanced tab.   Some network cards have an option to disable wireless on wired connection.   Yours may have this and may have gotten reset when you upgraded the driver.

Steve
No Events found!