Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2012 19:00

Is there any way to stop the N4010 wireless card from randomly disabling?

After some research, I noticed I'm having the same problem with my Inspiron N4010's wireless card as mentioned in this post. I purchased this laptop refurbished from the Dell Outlet store over a year ago. 

This is a very frustrating issue and Dell doesn't seem to care that this issue exists. 

Yes, I have tried re-installing the drivers, the BIOS is updated, and no I am not pressing that key when the wireless card randomly disables. Normally it will re-enable after a few minutes or if I keep pressing that key it may re-enable. Sometimes it will take a restart for it to re-enable. 

This is a completely random problem too. I am unable to reproduce the problem. I have even tried reformatting, but the problem persists. 

I am just about ready to replace the card and see if that works (the laptop is out of warranty and I'm comfortable inside of a laptop so that is not an issue). Do you think this would be my best option at this point? 

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

February 25th, 2012 08:00

I am just about ready to replace the card and see if that works (the laptop is out of warranty and I'm comfortable inside of a laptop so that is not an issue). Do you think this would be my best option at this point? 

I would.

1 Message

April 23rd, 2012 17:00

Same laptop, same story..... I doubt it is a hw issue. Something keeps disabling the adapter.

Has there been any successful remedy that anyone has seen??

Thank you!

April 23rd, 2012 17:00

Same laptop, same story..... I doubt it is a hw issue. Something keeps disabling the adapter.

Has there been any successful remedy that anyone has seen??

Thank you!

After replacing the WiFi adapter, it seems to have fixed the problem. 

I think Dell had a bunch of bad adapters. 

2 Posts

May 19th, 2012 16:00

Again, same laptop, same story.  I was thinking of getting a USB wireless adaptor to save money.  Where did you get the replacement WiFi adaptor, and how much was it?  My computer was almost exactly a year old when I first started having problems.  I am sure there are lots of us with the same problem.  Is there any recourse?

2 Posts

May 19th, 2012 16:00

I said "smae story", but my laptop was supposed to be newly made when I purchased it.  Not refurbished.

May 19th, 2012 19:00

I replaced the internal wireless card with a Dell WiFi Link 5300 from eBay for $14. The laptop is fairly simple to open and then you just replace the card. Here is a link to the one I purchased: cgi.ebay.com/.../eBayISAPI.dll

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 20th, 2012 12:00

janda,

Was the operating system recently installed/reinstalled? Did you install the drivers in the correct order? How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Many computers can use different adapters, so same computer and same problem does not tell us if it's the same adapter or a different one.

If the computer has an Intel adapter, try reading...

Intel® WiFi Products — Power Save Polling (PSP) causes connection issues with some access points

Start, control panel, device manager, network, double click on your adapter, power management. uncheck the box, allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Click on advanced. Look to see if your adapter has antenna diversity. If it has it, then try changing the antenna diversity from Auto to Aux.

Rick

No Events found!