Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

December 5th, 2010 19:00

Laptop Wireless network keeps disconnecting!

My Inspiron 6400 network card keeps disconnecting from my wireless network.  In order to get it working again, I have to turn off the wireless fn key and turn it back on again.  This usually works for a few minutes than I lose connection again.  Is there anything I can do to correct this?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 7th, 2010 08:00

williamtk9,

Try this tweak...

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Ever update the firmware in the wireless router? I use channel 11.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 8th, 2010 20:00

bubbadubba,

Since you have an Intel Adapter, try using the drivers from Intel® Driver Update Utility for Intel® wireless adapters

Make sure to do the tweak if you update the drivers, just to make sure they were not changed.

Rick

142 Posts

December 8th, 2010 20:00

Hi PudgyOne,

I am going to try your suggestion to see if it will resolve my own wifi connectivity issue. I have a Latitude D630 with an Intel 4965AGN internal wifi mini-card. I have recently been regularly losing my wifi connectivity. This usually happens soon after I turn on my laptop for the day (or night). I will either start out with wifi connectivity and lose it within 10-30 minutes or I will have no wifi connectivity to start.  My wireless connection manager will show that I am connected to my 2-wire wifi router but with "Limited or No Connectivity". In the past, I would try to "repair" the wifi connection. Then I would try deleting the network, reselect it and typing in my passkey. Neither of these would work. The only sure way to reestablish a long term connection is to power off my wifi router, turn it back on and have it cycle through. 

I had updated my wifi card's driver just the other day as well as the BIOS but I still am losing connectivity. I have just unchecked the power management box to allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. I will see tomorrow if I lose connectivity again or if this does the trick. 

Can you tell me why your suggestion would resolve some wifi connectivity issues? I'd like to know the reason behind why things work.

I will let you know if this works for me.

142 Posts

December 13th, 2010 13:00

Hi Rick,

I went ahead and updated my Intel wifi driver from the site Intel site link you suggested. For the first couple of days, I thought that did the trick since when I booted up my D630, the wifi connection automatically connected. However, by day three, I would lose my connection again and - as I had previously done, I would have to turn my wifi router off and then on again. I know it can't be an issue with my 2-wire router since I have an Ipod and I am still able to connect to my wifi router and the web during this "Limited to No Connectivity" on my D630. Can you think of anything else? For example, is there any possibility that the actual wifi card could start going bad? I am still under warranty until next April but I don't like having to go through Tech Support primarily because that is either a minimum of an hour call or they will say it's something else (like my router) and not the laptop.

Any other suggestions on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 13th, 2010 13:00

bubbadubba,

Did you ever update the firmware in the wireless router?

What type of security and what channel are you using?

How far away is your computer from the wireless router?

Where is the location of your wireless router?

Computer still under waranty, try Dell's onlone chat session and they can remotely connect to your computer and try things. It may be a setting, they'll probably try drivers and then if they thing it's going bad, maybe have to get it repaired. Get it done under waranty.

Rick

11 Posts

December 18th, 2010 16:00

Thank you.  I tried what you said and it works fine now. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 19th, 2010 12:00

williamtk9,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

142 Posts

December 20th, 2010 09:00

Hi Rick,

I am glad that other people were able to resolve their connectivity issues with your suggestions. I still have not been able to get it corrected. I wanted to update the firmware on my 2-wire 1800HG home router but actually don't know how. I've gone into the 2-wire site and have not yet found the instructions to do so.

If you know how, please let me know.

So, to answer your questions, 

• No, I have not (yet) updated the firmware.
  • I am using WPA-PSK and I think I am using channel 10 (I have not confirmed this yet)
  • My router is one floor up from where I usually access my laptop. If I were to guess, I'd say 20 feet.
  • My router is in an upstairs office and I use my laptop primarily downstairs in the living room.

My challenge is trying to understand how this would work without issue in the 2.5 years that I've had this particular laptop. I've had the router longer.

Thanks again for all of your responses and suggestions.

H

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 20th, 2010 11:00

bubbadubba,

If the router is owned by your Internet Service Provider, then they are the only ones that can update the firmware.

The switch to channel 11. Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security (Personal) and use mixed mode.

If the problem continues, check with your ISP and see if they can help. I have seen a bad wire coming intpo the house from the weather and squirrels on it has caused some issues.

Rick 

5 Posts

December 22nd, 2010 12:00

bubbadubba try tweaking the "power options" settings. Sounds like the same intermittent disconnect issue. Just make sure what your adapter type is before performing the tweak.

142 Posts

December 22nd, 2010 13:00

I will try switching channels. 

I am still baffled as to why only my D630 will lose it's internet connection but not my Ipod. That would seem to indicate that the problem is with my D630 or its wifi card, drivers or other software.

142 Posts

December 22nd, 2010 14:00

Thanks for your suggestion but can you be more specific about tweaking the power options setting. Power Options setting on what? Also "adapter type" for what? 

Please be specific so I can try your suggestion.

Thanks.

5 Posts

December 22nd, 2010 17:00

bubbadubba

Its actually got it's own thread here on the forums. disconnect from internet,intermittent. That will walk you through the tweak, just make sure it applys to your network adapter. Faily simple, to accomplish.

142 Posts

February 3rd, 2011 17:00

Hi Rick,

It's been over a month since you suggested switching the channel on my router. I had previously done so (from 10 to 11) and the issue did not go away.  I eventually pinged Dell Tech Support and they suggested I change the channels again to any channel 6 and up.  I chose 7 and it worked.  Had it not, I would have gone through every channel from 6 all the way up to 11 again until one worked.  

Thanks again for suggesting the channel change. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 4th, 2011 01:00

bubbadubba,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thank for posting back. Usually the higher the channels the better the signal. Never though but please remember that cordless 2.4gh phones are on the same frequency and will also disconnect you from the internet.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!