Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2012 08:00

Laptop keyboard frozen

I have a 4 year-old Studio 1737 laptop that has worked very well until just now.  When I checked email an hour or so ago it worked fine, but the last 15 minutes the keyboard has completely frozen.  I tried rebooting, but it didn't help (I couldn't even log in) and is still frozen.  The wireless mouse works fine and this plug-in keyboard I took from a desktop in my house works fine, too.  How can I unfreeze my keyboard?  I'm tempted to reset to an earlier save date, but I wanted to ask here first.  Thanks in advance for any help!

June 13th, 2012 10:00

Hi kokokringle

Welcome to the Community.

I regret for the inconvienence caused due to this concern.

If i have understood the concern correctly, The keyboard is not responding and has freezed.

To resolve this you try below mentioned steps.

1. Release the flea power. (Turn off you computer. Remove the battery and adapter. Press the power button for 30 seconds. Install the battery and adapter. Turn on the computer.)

2. Remove the keyboard drivers from device manager and restart the computer.

3. Run the hardware diagnostics to check if keyboard has gone bad.

4. If diagnostics pass then you can restore the computer back to an earlier date and check.

5. Please check this link if you still face any concern support.dell.com/.../document

Please let me know of the findings, Glad to be of assistance.

Thank you

June 13th, 2012 12:00

Thanks.  Do I have to try these in the order listed, or can I try numbers 3&4 before I try taking the battery out?

June 13th, 2012 12:00

Hi kokokringle

Thank you for a prompt reply.

I will recommend you to try the steps in the order mention above as the steps no 3 & 4 will not be required if it is just a normal system freeze or hardware profile concern.

Please let me know of the findings, Glad to be of assistance.

Thank you

June 13th, 2012 15:00

Thanks again for your prompt help.  The first item fixed the problem.  

No Events found!