Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 31st, 2012 10:00

Laptop unable to reconnect to wireless network after reformat

I have Inspiron 1525 with Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller. After reformat, the network will not detect wireless modem after I think I have downloaded all pertinent drivers. In Device Manager, under Other Devices, The Network Controller shows an exclamation mark that under Device Status says, "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver." I have turned on the button on the left of the laptop and still missing something.

Can anyone help a novice get the Network going again. Prior to the reformat everything was working well. I had the Blue Screen of death andthat's the reason for the reformat.

Is there any other info that I need to convey?

105 Posts

May 31st, 2012 12:00

Hi hoofey,

Welcome to the community

The card name you have listed is for the wired connection, the NIC card (Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller). You need to connect the cable in order to connect to the internet.

This is not the wireless card, to know which driver to install for the wireless card you need to check your system invoice details and find out the card name listed there.

Then log on to www.support.dell.com and use your system service tag click on the drivers. And install the one under the network for your system.  Make sure you select the correct operating system.

We would require the service tag number of your laptop provide the driver for you. As using that we would be able to check the system specifications

Kindly add me as a friend and PM the laptop’s service tag number.

Let me know your findings, Glad to be of assistance

Ravi Mohindroo

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 31st, 2012 14:00

hoofey,

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the Notebook system utility and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the notebook system utility and the chipset drivers and install the drivers in the correct order.

Rick

7 Posts

June 4th, 2012 05:00

First of all, thanks for your help. Question, when you talk about the "system invoice details", would I be able to find this under "Device Systems" under Control Panel?

Service tag .

I don't know where to add you as friend. Kind of new to this forum thing.

Thanks again.

7 Posts

June 4th, 2012 05:00

First of all, thanks for your help. Question, since I have already installed drivers, should I go to the folder where all the drivers have ended up and delete the folder? all of them went under the Dell program folder and actually that is what I did, I deleted the folder. Would ther be any additional steps?

Thanks again.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 4th, 2012 08:00

hoofey,

The drivers didn't install, so start with the notebook system utility, then the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

7 Posts

June 4th, 2012 08:00

Rick,

I tried to intall the Dell System Software Application and this window popped up, "The Microsoft Windows operating system service pack is not suported.

Please update to the latest Microsoft Windows service pack."

I guess I need to download from Wndows Update but can't get online with laptop? Burn to disc, then update?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 4th, 2012 09:00

hoofey,

Did you try the ethernet cable?

Are you installing the Notebook system utility from the Dell drivers disk?

Rick

105 Posts

June 4th, 2012 14:00

Hi Hoofey,

Thank you for your response.

It seems like you have not installed the wireless card drivers or unable to find them on the support site or in the drivers disc. Your system has dell wireless 1395 card installed. You must install the followin driver in order to make it work.

Here is the link to install it:

http://dell.to/M5ICDF

Once installed you need to check in the device manager under network adapter and see if the  card is now getting detected,

Also, Dell Rockstar was correct in recommending the order in which you must install the drivers.

After a clean installation of the Microsoft Windows Vista operating system, you must install the following drivers / software packages on the 1525 system:

• Dell™ Notebook System Software

• Intel® Mobile Chipset Driver

• Mobile Intel® GMA X3100 Video Controller

• Ricoh® Media Card Reader Driver

• Intel Flash Cache Logic Chip (Intel Turbo Memory)

• Marvell® Yukon 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

• Wireless driver (if applicable)

• IDT® STAC 9205 Audio Driver

• MDC driver

• Dell Touch Pad Driver

• Bluetooth® driver.

You must install the Dell Notebook System Software first followed by the system chipset. Reboot the system between installations.

Ravi Mohindroo

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 4th, 2012 18:00

hoofey,

Please follow DELL-Ravi M's advice. The article is How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Dell's tiny url's are not working properly, at this time. You can use the drivers disk to install the drivers or download the drivers from Dell's website at Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number, then download the drivers to install them.

:emotion-55: Hint :emotion-55: When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software(if applicable)
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

Rick

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 20th, 2012 11:00

Most important --the Notebook System Software and Chipset drivers which must be installed first before all other drivers. The Notebook system software will be listed under System Utilities on your complete download list.  Not installing these first is the usual reason the network drivers do not install.

7 Posts

July 20th, 2012 11:00

Hi Rick,

Hoofey here still trying to figure out why things aren't connecting with the wireless adapter on this Insprion 1525. I got the service packs all installed and have updated software for Vista. I have downloaded drivers in the order on the list.

I have learned more about this stupid computer, like where the WiFi on/off button really is. Before, I thought it was the button but never sure until recently.

Anyway, I get the message, "This computer does not have a wireless network adapter installed and configured. Install wireless networking hardware, and verify that the correct drivers are loaded."

I thought I have loaded all pertinent drivers and know that the hardware is installed because it worked prior to the reformat. Anymore ideas?

I thank you for your time and hope that I can get this resolved.

Hoofey

7 Posts

July 20th, 2012 12:00

Thanks so much for your help. I finally got it to work after installing missing driver. So simple but so aggravating.

Thanks again!

Hoofey

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Hoofey,

In addition to what Mary said...

Places to look to see if your Connection is enabled

Did you try the switch on the side?

Rick

7 Posts

You all did it. I was missing the driver for the wireless network and finally installed and it works. I thank you very much for all your help.

Thanks again!

Hoofey

March 31st, 2013 03:00

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some help. I have the exact same problem as hoofey.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 that must have got a virus, as the computer wouldn't turn on. I reinstated windows vista and other drivers but my wireless network did not work.

I then found this discussion. I reinstalled vista again, and followed your advise on installing the drivers in the correct order according to this article http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&docid=268873

I reinstalled the Dell Sysyem software first and then the system chipset. I then continued downloading the drivers.

I couldn't find this one though

3. PCMCIA/Smartcard controller - located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

After all this I still had the error

In Device Manager, under Other Devices, The Network Controller shows an exclamation mark that under Device Status says, "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."

I then downloaded the link to this driver http://dell.to/M5ICDF as mention in this discussion thread.

It downloaded the driver, and unzipped the files but it DIDN'T run the install software. I'm guessing this is the problem.

Any help most appreciated. This is driving me crazy.

Thanks

No Events found!