Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2010 05:00

Local Only Access when Vista Laptop connects through Wireless Extender

Hi - I know there is a suggested solution in the top post for this but I have tried and can't get it to work.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 on Vista (SP2) and other XP PCs connecting to a BT 2Wire  2700HGV Router - the connection works fine and everything is great.

However we live in an old house and the Wireless signal drops in certain rooms.

I bought a Belkin Wireless Extender - but could not get it to work with the Vista PC - shows Local Access only for Internet. On reading the documentation it appears that the Belkin is not great with Vista so I changed to a SiteCom 300N which has vista specific instructions.

But the same issue appears - can anyone HELP - I am going mad here. I have tried the fix suggested by MSFT but it does not work.

Thanks so much.

G

626 Posts

January 18th, 2010 10:00

Do you have the SiteCom 300N configured in such a way that it is set to be a "Universal Repeater" and is the Root AP SSID field configured with the SSID of your BT 2Wire 2700HGV Router?

And I'm just curious, does your Vista system have any type of non-Microsoft firewall software such as Norton, PC-Cillin, AVG, etc....?

626 Posts

January 18th, 2010 11:00

What IP address range is your BT 2Wire 2700HGV Router configured to distribute to the clients?

What IP address is your vista system getting after it connects to the wireless network?

January 18th, 2010 11:00

Yes - I went through the steps as described in the instructions. Used Site Survey to pick up the SSID.

I have AVG anti-virus but just using Windows Firewall.

Any help on this would be much appreciated,

I had the exact same issues with the Belkin too.

January 18th, 2010 12:00

Router range 192.XXX

With Extender on Vista PC 192.XXX

With Extender off Vista PC connects directly to 2Wire and 192.XXX

But the differences are as follows - SSID showing as SiteCom, not BTBusinessHub and also:

Direct to Hub - IPv4 Connectivity - Internet; IPv6 Connectivity, Limited

To SiteCom - IPv4 Local; IPv6 Limited

626 Posts

January 18th, 2010 12:00

Go to page 17 of the following PDF:

http://www.sitecom.com/download/4234/WL-330_331-Full-Manual-English.pdf

On the web configuration page that is displayed on page 17 of that PDF, make sure the channel number is the same as the channel number configured on your BT 2Wire  2700HGV Router.  Read everything on page 17 of that PDF.

Are you absolutely sure that the XP systems are using the Sitecom Range Extender for their connection to the internet?  Or is the Vista system the only one that will be using the Range Extender?

January 18th, 2010 13:00

Afraid not - having done that and renamed the SSID its not even finding the Extender.

Will try with the channel change and using Site Survey to find the SSID.

Will confirm once this has completed.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

ScottishGolFan,

A couple of thoughts.

Try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11.

Also try...

How to repair a connection

War the operating system recently reinstalled?

Rick

626 Posts

So that solved the problem?  If so, can you mark this as a solved thread.

626 Posts

should I disable the Firewall?

I have no reason to believe that the firewall would be causing this problem but it won't hurt trying.

Also on the main BT Router it says SSID Brodcast Enabled - would this cause any issues?

No, this wouldn't cause issues.  Another thing to try is to make the Main SSID of the Extender match the BT Router Root AP SSID, exactly, keeping in mind that it is case sensitive.

This has not worked again.

Two other thoughts - should I disable the Firewall? The system is not finding the Internet, even when wired to the Extender?

Also on the main BT Router it says SSID Brodcast Enabled - would this cause any issues?

Thanks

Hi the router was set to auto Channel - so I changed that to match the Sitecom.

The Vista PC is the only one that needs the extender - the Xp ones can manage if they can get to the 2Wire.

Thanks so much for all of your help.

626 Posts

That's peculiar.  Try turning the firewall off again and see if the wireless adapter works properly after that.  I want to know for sure if the firewall is what is affecting the system's ability to access the internet.

Will try Channel 11 and the recommended settings - Op syststem has not been recently installed is as it was when we got it

Exact match of main SSID - did not work.

I took the Firewall off and installed it perfectly - it worked. Put Firewall back on and its still working.

Then I re-started and it flipped back to Local only? Any thoughts....

So I am happy I can get this to work but then its not working on Restart?

January 18th, 2010 14:00

Ok so re-installed all working with Firewall off. Rebooted with firewall off and did not work, could not connect to internet. I hit diagnose problem and it said it Cannot Communicate with Primary DNS Server.

Any thoughts?

Will have to re-visit in the morning - very frustrating. Its working then reboot PC and it fails, Shows it can work but I don't know what else to try.

No Events found!