Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 23rd, 2013 09:00

Loss of internet connection, but wireless still connected

Hi

Been having problems with wireless on Inspiron N5040 since purchase - wireless card is Dell wireless 1701 802.11b/g/n, access via BT Homehub 3.

Basically, and unpredictably, connection to the internet is occasionally lost, but wireless connection still shows as connected. A Restart will always restore the connection (but Disabling then Re-enabling the card will not).

I've implemented several fixes suggested on the net (mainly turning off powersaving for the card within Device Manager, and within Powersaving itself), and updated the driver, but still get the problem intermittently - and now starting up Google Earth seems to lose the connection too. Could maybe be large amounts of incoming data cause the problem?

Any help appreciated.

2.2K Posts

March 23rd, 2013 09:00

Hi duncan64,

Welcome to the Community.

I would suggest you to perform component test on the wireless card using the Dell PC Diagnostics. Please click the link mentioned below to download Dell PC Diagnostics:

http://dell.to/We70YO

If the test fails, wireless card needs replacement.

If the test pass, drivers and the BIOS need update. Please let me the know the operating system installed so that I can provide you the driver accordingly.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

3 Posts

March 23rd, 2013 12:00

Thanks Manshu. The diagnostic test on the wireless card was passed, so I need to try the driver/BIOS update, please. My operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium (Service Pack 1).

Many thanks for your help.

3 Posts

March 31st, 2013 13:00

Hi again.

Still hoping for further details about this. Have updated BIOS from support site (couldn't find a more up to date wireless card driver) but connection to internet sites still lost regularly, even though wireless still connected. Message 'Waiting for (site)' appears at menu bar, but connection to site is never achieved. A full Restart always solves the problem, though (but not disabling/re-enabling wireless).

Further help appreciated please.

2.2K Posts

April 1st, 2013 16:00

Hi duncan64,

Please provide the following details:

1. Did you install a new antivirus on the system?
2. Since when are you facing this issue?
3. Disable Firewall and check if the issue persists

Also, perform a complete scan using the antivirus to ensure there is no virus in the system.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

No Events found!