Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2010 13:00

Lost internet connection through both wireless & ethernet cable

I have suddenly lost internet connection (both wireless & thru ethernet cable) on my Inspiron b130 (Windows XP).
In Network Connections it says a network cable is unplugged, firewalled; when Iconnect ethernet cable it reads connected, firewalled - but, still no internet
On my computer/properties/hardware /network adapters/ Intel(R) PRO/wireless 2200BG Network Connection - there is a yellow exclamation mark.

I have tried the following to fix:

1) disabled then enable firewall
2) disabled then enabled wireless connection
3) used the Network Wizard
4) tried the FN/F2 key
5) unplugged then plugged in wireless router

Can anyone help me??

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 18th, 2010 16:00

Ketchum7,

You can try going to control panel,add/remove programs and click on the Intel ProSet Wireless, then click repair, it may or may not work.

I used to use a Dell Inspiron B130 but the wireless adapter finally died. If you recently reinstalled the operating system, then try How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Rick

5 Posts

September 20th, 2010 00:00

Thanks Rick, went thru repair steps, but still no connection.

I cannot find ANYWHERE an explanation of what the yellow exclamation mark means! (my computer/properties/hardware /network adapters/ Intel(R) PRO/wireless 2200BG Network Connection - yellow exclamation mark). I have to believe it has something to do with my problem.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 20th, 2010 02:00

Ketchum7,

It means the device is not installed and working properly. I just located THIS THREAD from the past that may of may not help.

You can try uninstalling the one with the exclaimination mark and restart your computer. If you installed the drivers from before, then it will find the new hardware after you restart your computer. If the device has failed, then it may not show up a all.

I had mine fail after a couple of years. I then had to use a usb adapter. When I first reinstalled the operating system, I did not know that you had to install the drivers in a specific order and I too, did ot have a wireless connection.

Rick

5 Posts

September 20th, 2010 22:00

Thanks, I'll try this...

5 Posts

October 4th, 2010 11:00

Finally able to get back to working on this... question (though perhaps stupid):

How do I download all of this if I don't have internet

My disk driver doesn't seem to be working, so I can't download on to disk.

thx

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 4th, 2010 17:00

5 Posts

October 4th, 2010 19:00

You're the Man... I think... I'll keep you posted though... T

1 Message

December 27th, 2010 07:00

I had exactly the same problem and have done exactly the same things you have. 

Yesterday the wireless on my year-old Inspiron Mini which has worked well through a Verizon router stopped working when I added a new Kindle to the network.

Wired stopped working yesterday, but works today.

I also have an Inspiron 1501 which has had no wireless for a year.  Last week, it had no wired or wireless signal.  A few days ago a Verizon customer support agent gave me instructions that got both wired and wireless working.  Now wired works, but wireless does not. 

The problem is too erratic to be caused by the network, and because it occurs on two Dell computers linked to the same router, it is not the fault of an individual computer. 

My guess:  Dell is getting signals that its systemware cannot handle, probably related to security and/or packet timing.  Dell can't figure out how to fix it, so there are no downloads to help. 

So far Dell refuse to respond.  One Verizon support agent knew what to do; she took over my computer and got everything working two days ago.  After only one day, the same problems came back.  Will keep trying.   

No Events found!