XPS1530 vista home 1395 mini card. won't stay connected to comcast cable wifi. keeps wanting to reset wlan utility and will work for seconds. stays connected plugged in to router!1? please help. ran online diagnostic and no problems, also downloaded lastest driver for wlan card?
There are various possible reasons for intermittent wireless connectivity. Please try the following steps:
1. Ensure that maximum distance between the laptop and router is less than 30 feet. Place the laptop very close to the router and check if that makes any difference
2. Check if you can connect to any other available network. An unsecured connection has a yellow mark besides it. (It does not ask for a network security key). If the wireless works fine with another network, your router settings may have to be changed. Else, try changing the 'wireless card' settings.
3. Maximize the performance of 'Wireless Card' installed in the laptop:
Note: Different wireless cards are shipped with Dell laptops. Please use the following steps to access and change card settings:
- Right-click the 'Computer' icon on the desktop or from the 'Start menu'
- Click 'Manage'
- Click 'Device Manager'
- Click the + sign to expand the 'Network Adapters' entry
- Right-click the wireless adapter (Dell wireless 1395) and click 'Properties''
- Click the 'Advanced' tab to configure the advanced settings
- Select Power Management, uncheck Default / Auto, and move the slider to Highest / Maximum Performance.
Note: If the slider is already at Highest / Maximum Performance, move the slider to another setting and then back to Highest / Maximum Performance.
Change the following settings in the Dell Wireless card:
- Bluetooth Collaboration is set as 'Enabled' by default. Please 'Disable' it.
- Set value of 'Roam Tendency' as 'Aggressive'
- Save the settings and re-check wireless performance
If you still experience issues, please set the wireless card settings to the following values (These are the recommended card settings for some Comcast modems':
- Change 802.11h+d to 'Strict 11h'
- Change Afterburner to 'Enabled'
- Change Antenna Diversity to 'Main'
- Change AP Compatibility Mode to 'Broader Compatibility'
- Change BSS Mode to '802.11g Mode'
- Change BT-AMP to 'Enabled'
- Change Fragmentation Threshold to '2300'
- Change Locally Administered MAC Address to '1234567890AB'
- Change Minimum Power Consumption to 'Disabled'
- Change PLCP Header to 'Long'
- Change Roaming Decision to 'Optimize Distance'
- Change RTS Threshold to '2300'
4. If the issue persists, try re-installing the 'Wireless driver'. Find the steps listed below:
Remove the corrupt wireless drivers
- Click ‘Start’, and then click ‘Control Panel’
- Click ‘Hardware and Sound’
- Click ‘Device Manager’
- ‘User Account Control’ dialog box appears
- Click ‘Continue’
- Device Manager Page opens up
- Locate a category called ‘Network Adapters’
- Expand this category
- Locate the wireless card (Dell 1395)
- Right click it and click 'Uninstall'
- Follow through with the uninstall process
- Restart the laptop Install fresh wireless drivers
- Click the following link to access the latest Dell wireless 1395 driver for Windows Vista 32/64 bit: http://dell.to/PVxxbJ
- Click 'Get Driver'
- Download and save the file on 'Desktop'
- Right click the file and click 'Run as an administrator'
- Follow through with the installation process as per the on screen instructions
- Finish the installation and restart the laptop and check for the wireless now
5. If the issue persists, try flashing system BIOS:
Note: Before flashing the BIOS please check the following:-
- Battery should have 10% or greater charge
- Adapter should be connected
- No external devices should be connected
- All other programs should be closed and documents saved
- Download BIOS from the following link: http://dell.to/VQDZmP
- Click on “Get driver”
- Save the BIOS on your desktop
- Right click on it and select “Run as administrator”
- Follow the prompts on screen to install BIOS (System may produce beep sounds and may restart)
- Check for the wireless performance
Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.