Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2012 16:00

McAfee DAT Update Causing Internet Connectivity Issues for Some Users

If you're a McAfee consumer customer experiencing network connectivity loss, it could be due to a recent update. We apologize for any inconvenience. Information on how to fix the issue here on our service site: http://mcaf.ee/s3b79. If you would like to speak to a consumer support representative directly, please call us: (866) 622-3911

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 21st, 2012 19:00

Try reading...

Software Updates Causes Wireless Connectivity Issue Or Unable to Connect to Internet

Use system restore to before Saturday night, and your connection should come back.

Then Update McAfee.

Rick

4 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 08:00

Restore did not work even going back 3 or 4 restore points.  In my case it was the "New XPS 15" and it was actually brand new.  Opened on Aug 17, worked fine until Saturday Aug 18 and researched this Forum and other places with nothing found.   The solution to Fix this:  Uninstall McAffee and the internet connection works, but your computer is vulnerable now.  Go immediately to www.mcafee.com and sign into your account, and you can select to reinstall. The whole fix took about 5 minutes.

4 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 08:00

Dear support, you need to get in synch with your help desk.  They provided this link http://service.mcafee.com/faq/TS101446.htm and stated to go directly to Step 3.  Bottom line is Uninstall McAfee, internet works again, go back to www.mcafee.com log in and reinstall McAfee.

18 Posts

August 23rd, 2012 15:00

I did not have a restore point so it was impossible for me to restore the system! :(

Thank you so much!

18 Posts

If McAfee ruins the connection to internet, why should I re-install it?

Thank you so much!

4 Posts

it was a bad update that McAfee published, then they fixed the update.  You could not received the new update because your computer would not connect.  When you reinstall, it will be a good clean version of McAfee.  I'm assuming you've paid for McAfee or it came with your system, so you paid one way or the other, so take advantage and McAfee is a good Antivirus program. :emotion-11:

2 Posts

August 23rd, 2012 20:00

MVT solution worked fine

2 Posts

August 24th, 2012 05:00

I have just experienced major problems connecting to the internet which I thought was caused by a problem with my internet router. The company that supply my phone/internet service provided me with a new router and of course this did not work once I had connected everything up. It was on contacting Dell that I found out the problem being caused by McAfee's latest update. Fortunately the Dell representative solved the problem for me. However, the problem also affected Mozilla Firefox on my pc and it was only through the help of a friend of mine in Germany that I was able to get various regular websites that I use back to their normal function. 

I have since removed the McAfee anti-virus software from my computer and have purchased Norton 360. I used Norton on my old pc and never had a single problem with them. Given the problems that appear to have occurred previously with McAfee I am wondering whether Dell should be recommending this anti-virus software.It will certainly have caused Dell employees to have been engaged in many man hours to sort the problem out. Will Dell be seeking compensation from McAfee?

The service I received from the Dell representative was first class and I am pleased to say that my desk top computer is now functioning normally.

2 Posts

August 24th, 2012 06:00

I agree. I have removed McAfee from my desk top pc and installed Norton. The problem caused by McAfee meant that I was with internet connection for almost a week. How was I to know about this problem if I could not connect to the internet? No doubt you have found an alternative to McAfee by now.

10 Posts

August 25th, 2012 12:00

This is a serious black mark for McAfee. I am using McAfee AntiVirus Plus and this morning I discovered that I could not access internet. It took me quite a time to find out that problem was not my internet provider, router or connecting cables but my computer Dell Inspiron N7110. I was shocked as my computer is only two months old. Didn’t know what to do. Then I remembered that computer makes restoring points every week and set restoring point a week back. After restart everything is working fine now. When I could access internet again I discovered this thread telling us that this was actually a McAfee problem. I wonder how many Inspiron users are skilled enough to solve this problem by themselves. I would say not more than 50%. What about the other 50% of users. What will they do? Send computer to the Dell Service or what? Once again this is a serious black mark for McAfee!

1 Message

August 28th, 2012 03:00

Friday morning, the internet on my computer went out, unexplained. I thought it was because of my router, which ironically, my router also picked that moment to die (it was 5 years old, needed to be replaced anyway). Replaced the router, got the system back up and running, however, my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 17R (Dell Inspiron N7110) was still not connecting to the internet. NO amount of restarting, shutting off and on the wireless card, or connecting to the router itself solved the problem.

I took my computer to the Geek Squad, and after spending over half an hour troubleshooting, it was recommended that the network card in my computer be replaced, which could have been a costly repair. THANKFULLY, McAfee sent me an e-mail notifying of the issue, and I followed the steps to remedy the problem immediately. The problem was fixed without me having to uninstall and re-install McAfee, but I did it anyway just to be safe.

While I was initially disheartened by the lack of communication, there isn't much I can complain about. I've been a McAfee user since 2003, and I plan to stay with it. Bad things happen, at least they're getting the word out about it however they can (social media, e-mail, etc). Just make sure that this is something the ISPs, repair shops (like the Geek Squad), and all other outlets KNOW about this issue, so they can provide the best service they can to their customers without suggesting things that wouldn't even fix the issue.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 28th, 2012 03:00

Lanier3000,

McAfee Support was so kind to post the information above. This thread was a forum stickie for 1 week, figuring that everyone would have this solved in that ammount of time.

The other stickie is still there, since there was also a driver update around the same time. The article includes both the McAfee and the drivers issue. Software Updates Causes Wireless Connectivity Issue Or Unable to Connect to Internet

Yes, problems like this can happen and communicating with your customers is a very IMPORTANT step.

Rick

1 Message

September 3rd, 2012 20:00

I just got off the phone with a great Dell representative that was able to fix this problem.  It was quite frustrating because I spent the first couple hours thinking it was a Comcast issue.  With two wireless devices that worked fine, I didn't think that was the issue. 

After 45 minutes, the Dell representative got my computer up and running.

1 Message

November 13th, 2012 04:00

I am from the UK & bought my XPS 8500 in October 2012 & it came with pre-installed McAfee - it stopped Access to the Internet 2 weeks later & during this last weekend I was on the phone to Dell support for over 3 hours on the sataurday to resolve the issue - the support representative was very helpful & eventually managed to uninsatall (took a while as McAfee was blocking the uninstall) & then applied windows updates & re-install of McAfee & Voila internet access was restored! However on the Sunday (when the Dell UK support is closed, the McAfee played up again - it would allow access to internet though the security centre would only present a blank white box on screen & would not access any McAfee features and would also not let me run any third party software like "TotalWar" as it would crash back to the blank Mcafee box. In the end, after 4 hours of puzzling it out using forums etc & realising it was only McAfee software causing this - I used the McAfee removal tool to remove it completely again & this time invested in Norton & guess what - no problems at all!!

I will not go back to mcAfee on this system & very unimpressed with Dell & McAfee for not sorting this issue out properly. The main reason of chossing Dell was the support available with the pre-installed MS office & Antivirus software yet i have now had to invest in Norton just to ensure I can actually use my computer!!!

February 2nd, 2013 17:00

My four month old $800+ Dell Inspiron 14z has had issues connecting to wireless internet basically since I got it. I'm just now addressing it. I've read in this and other forums about the problems that mcafee has recently caused many people.  My question is: if my free trial of mcafee is over and I do not want to purchase any mcafee products, is there a way to reinstall something without having to pay in order to resolve my internet connectivity issues? In addition, needless to say, this experience has not given me a good impression of dell or mcafee and I will not be giving my business to either company in the future and will discourage others from doing so. 

No Events found!