Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2004 23:00

Modem Helper Displays "Phone Line In Use" Message Yet Phone Line is Not in Use

I'm getting frustrated by the number of times that the "Modem Monitor" displays the window about "Phone Line in use" when I try to dial-up my Internet Service Provider (ISP).  I have a second (regular, not DSL) phone line devoted to the computer.  Yet, with an increasing frequency, that window pops-up when I try to dial out.  Eventually, if I just keep clicking on the Re-dial button, I'll get successfully connected to my ISP.  Once connected, everything works fine and I get very good transfer speeds (49-53Kb).

The modem log is turned on but I've not been able to use its contents to pin down the problem.  Maybe I just don't understand the log's syntax. 

However, listening to the modem on speaker is instructive.  When the problem occurs, I don't hear any modem/phone sounds from the speaker. When the problem does not occur, of course, I hear all the normal sounds (dialing sounds and dial tone sound).

My PC is a DELL Dimension 8400.  I got it new in early September 2004.  Initially, I don't remember having this problem.  However, over time, the problem is getting progressively worse.  The incorrect "phone line in use" message is occuring more and more frequently.

The modem in my DELL PC is on COM3.  According to Device Manager, this modem is a
"Intel(R) 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem in PCI Slot 2 (PCI bus 4, device 1, function 0)".

Another curious aspect of my modem's behavior is that the "Modem Helper" application incorrectly reports that I have multiple modems on my PC.  Here's the actual text of the error message from Modem Helper:

"Multiple Modems Detected In Your Computer
Modem Helper has detected one or more modems in your Dell computer that are not a supported, internal Dell modem. Please remove any modem that did not come with your Dell computer (refer to the manufacturers instructions) and completely uninstall the extra modem's driver and software.  After the software for the unsupported modem has been uninstalled, reboot your computer and then run Modem Helper again.

Note: There should only be one modem in your Dell computer.  This application has been designed to resolve problems with internal, factory-installed Dell modems.
If you need further assistance, please call Dell Technical Support at the number provided in your system documentation and report
Result Code: 54 - Multiple Modem Installations Found "

That Modem Helper message is in error.  I only have 1 modem installed in my PC and it's the original one installed at Dell's factory.

I do have other devices attached to additional COM ports (COM 5? thru 8?).  I purchased a Lava PCI Board that adds 4 add'l serial ports to my PC.  The same board was used in my older DELL (Dimension T800r) and I did not experience the "phone line in use" problem on that PC.

Any help you can provide in debugging and resolving this modem problem(s) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
/s/
Tony

49 Posts

December 25th, 2004 10:00

I have heard of this problem before. I think the solution was to increase the time between attempting to dial to the ISP. Make sure it waits like 3-5 seconds before trying to dial and the problem might be solved. Not sure though, but i think this was the solution.

5 Posts

December 30th, 2004 01:00

I have a Dimension 3000 with the same modem that is giving me the exact same message.  It will only let me dial probably 1 out of 50 times from this location.  What is funny is, I can take that computer to another phone line at another house and it dials fine.  I can also take a Dimension 4600 with a different modem to the original house and it will dial fine.

What I think it is, is an incompatibility between the Intel modem and the phone line.  A Dell service tech is to switch out the modem tomorrow.  I am hoping that this will solve the problem.  This computer is less than a week old.

You may need to install a different modem in your machine and I bet it will work better.

3 Posts

December 31st, 2004 22:00

Dell's onsite technician replaced my modem with the same brand and model modem.  We tested it three times successfully and the tech left thinking the problem was resolved.  Literally, the minute he drove out our driveway, I re-tested it and the problem (bogus "Phone Line in Use" message) was back!  I tried it several more times and the problem was back and as worse as ever.

I downloaded the generic software driver for the 537E chipset for modems from Intel's website.  I installed this driver instead of the DELL-supplied one.  EUREKA!  The problem is significantly reduced!  Out of 100s of dial-ups since installing this generic Intel driver, the problem has occurred only once!

5 Posts

January 1st, 2005 13:00

Dell replaced my modem with a different model one and it seems to have fixed the problem. Although, that was just yesterday..... I guess time will tell.

5 Posts

February 2nd, 2005 15:00

It is possible that the "Phone Line In Use" was caused by interference from your primary phone line.  Were you more likely to get the "Phone Line In Use" error when you attempted to dial while you were talking on the primary phone line?

If so, then it will also be more difficult for your modem (the new modem or the old modem) to get a fast connection when you use the primary phone line.  I had this problem in my home and I solved it by improving the quality of my phone line by installing CAT-5 wiring which reduces interference by using twisted pairs of wires.

Mark

5 Posts

February 2nd, 2005 16:00

It would happen whether I was on the phone or not. However, since they replaced the modem with a different model, we have not gotten the "Phone line in use" message once.

3 Posts

February 3rd, 2005 01:00

The problem occurred even when nobody was using the primary phone line.

5 Posts

February 3rd, 2005 10:00

Mine did also. There are three phone lines coming into the house with 4 phone numbers and none of the lines could be in use and I would still get the "Phone in use" message. I could hook up a different computer, with a different model modem and they would work fine. Once Dell put something other than the Intel 537ep modem in it, the new computer worked perfectly.

I know it is the strangest thing I have ever seen, but I really believe there is some sort of incompatility issue with that particular Intel chipset and that particular phone line. Because the computer that would not dial out on this particular telephone line, would dial fine 3 miles down the road at another house.

Go figure?!?!?!?!

Message Edited by oscman on 02-03-2005 06:24 AM

Message Edited by oscman on 02-03-2005 06:26 AM

49 Posts

February 6th, 2005 13:00

I think i know the solution. It has got to do with the type of modem. Dell delivers 2 models, one is the model Cher and the other is Mary. I forgot which one is the sh*tty one, but if your phone line isnt 100% pure it keeps saying that the phoneline is in use. In order to fix this problem contact Dell and check if you have the Mary modem (i'm not 100% sure could also be Cher model, but i thought that's the modem thats causing this problem). Tech support should know this is a known issue and replace the modem with the other model. Problem solved.
No Events found!