Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 24th, 2008 09:00

Modem not responding

I am trying to re-set up a dialup modem for backup in case my cable  goes out. When I try to connect I get a 692 message - "Your modem (or other device) is not responding because of the following:"

The modem is turned off, malfunctioning, or is not securely connected to your computer.

To resolve this problem, do the following:

Reset your modem. For more information, consult your modem documentation.

The moden is a Conexant RD01-D270 and I have no documentation. Where do I start to troubleshoot this?

January 6th, 2009 19:00

I thought I'd bring this to the top again - surely someone knows how I can start to troubleshoot this?

1.7K Posts

January 7th, 2009 08:00

What model computer is this for?  Assuming it is a Dell, using a Dell installed modem, have you tried running the Modem Helper CD and having it check for problems?  Have you already tried reseating the modem as the error message asks?

January 7th, 2009 12:00

Thank you for your reply.

This is for an 8300. I did try reseating the card.

I did not know I had a modem helper CD but I found the Dell modem CD and when I ran it, it opened an IE browser window titled "Modem Helper," but the window was blank. I tried going to My Computer and double clicking on the CD drive but nothing happened. I tried Explore on that drive but there were so many files I didn't know where to start.

Suggestions?

1.7K Posts

January 7th, 2009 13:00

It should have opened a page giving you various options, similar to the Dell Resource (aka Drivers & Utilities) CD, one of which was to "Check for Problems".  If all you got was a blank page you may have a bad disk.

You might be able to get a replacement disk from Tech Support, although I'm not sure due to the age of the 8300 model (we can't send disks we no longer have, after all :emotion-5:).

January 7th, 2009 14:00

I searched the knowledge base and found instructions to use Start > Run to open Modem Helper. The result was that the InstallShield Wizard box appeared briefly then went away and nothing else happened. I did notice that the InstallShield Wizard button was on the Taskbar but clicking on it did nothing.

So I downloaded Modem Helper from Dell downloads and when I ran the download, the same thing happened (the InstallShield Wizard box appeared briefly then went away and nothing else happened. I did notice that the InstallShield Wizard button was on the Taskbar but clicking on it did nothing.).

Could there be something with my system that's causing it not to run, since I got the same result from both the disc and the download? I turned off the firewall but that didn't fix it.

January 22nd, 2009 14:00

I'm bringing this to the top again with the hopes that someone will recognize what's wrong. Thanks.

No Events found!