Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 1st, 2012 14:00

My Wifi Card Not Starting Atheros AR5007EG

Hi,

I am new to this forums. I am having long withstanding problem that I couldn't resolved till date. I am using My DELL VOSTRO A860 for more than 3 years.

My Wifi is not starting for any reason, I've installed the driver from your CD, manually downloaded from atheros site and I did all I could do to resolve the problem, but still the problem persists.

All other things are fine but still I am not able to use my wifi.

Could anyone please help me with this long unresolved issue?

Regards,

Kishore

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 12th, 2012 03:00

Rekha,

Sorry to hear about that. Glad you got it working. :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 1st, 2012 17:00

Kishore,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system?

What is the make and model of your wireless router and the type of security you're using? What channel?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Can you run Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID and REGISTERED OWNER, if using XP, run an ipconfig /all log and post it back here.

Rick

9 Posts

December 1st, 2012 22:00

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Here are the details you asked for.

1. I am using Windows Vista Home Basic. I've re-installed it yesterday because of this issue.

2. Make is Atheros. Model - AR5BXB63. Downloaded the driver software for this, installed and not able to resolved the issue.

3. I am using Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Firewall.

My Problem is not detecting the signal, it is not even starting at all, showing Code 10 error on Vista. Please verify with the below images.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Kishore

December 2nd, 2012 00:00

Kishore,

Dell system software first then the chipset drivers? I see only a Vostro A840 unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

You can also try downloading the drivers for the network adapter and save them to the desktop.

Create a system restore point.

Start, control panel, device manager, network adapters, right click on your network adapter, left click uninstall. Tell it to remove the drivers and software.

Restart your computer. When you log back in, the new hardware wizard will try to install the adapter but fail. Install the drivers you saved to the desktop.

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

Rick

Kishore,

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the Desktop/Notebook system software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Desktop/Notebook system software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

9 Posts

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply, Yes I'd installed the driver by that order only. I've disabled my virus and firewall also but not no use.

Regards,

Kishore

9 Posts

December 2nd, 2012 01:00

Hi Rick,

Fn and F2 keys also not working. I've installed Dell System Software. Still the problem persists.

Sorry for bothering you too much.

Regards,

Kishore

Kishore,

If you have the drivers disk, if there is a notebook system utility, it gets installed first then the chipset drivers. The combination of these two drivers know what is attached to your system. Sorry I accidentally gave you the incorrect link for Dell System Software. If should be...

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/vostro-a860?driverId=XVX9H&osCode=WLH&fileId=2731093919

Places to look to see if your Connection is enabled

Did you try Fn and F2?

Rick

9 Posts

Hi Rick,

I don't know anything about Dell Software Software. I am downloading it. Do I have to install the Dell System Software before the Drivers From the Dell CD?

And also should I allow the windows to search online for network adapter driver to install it after I restart the system?

If that is the case then the windows installed the software already and showed ready to use. But It still shows code 10 not able to start.

Please note my blue color light not glowing when I hit Fn + F12 Keys.

Regards,

Kishore

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2012 10:00

Kishore,

Look on your drivers disk for Dell QuickSet or Dell Control Point. If it's there, install it. This helps to control the F key functions.

What do you see if you press the Windows Key and the x keys at the same time?

I see you have a 1395 adapter installed. Start, control panel, device manager, network adapters, double click on the 1395 adapter, click on advanced. Look for antenna diversity. Change it from Auto to Aux. Click on the power management tab and uncheck the box, allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Try reading...

How to start Wireless Zero Configuration using Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8

I have also see some virus programs and firewalls block communications.

Rick

9 Posts

December 2nd, 2012 12:00

Hi Rick,

1. I don't see Dell QuickSet or Dell Control Point in my Disk Drives.

2. Attacheded is the screenshot of what happens when I press Windows Key and the x keys.

3. I am not using 1395 adapter, I am using Atheros AR5007EG Network Adapter (This is not starting).

4. I've did what is specified in this link "How to start Wireless Zero Configuration using Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8"

5. Disabled firewall and virus program, but still no use.

Thanks in advance. I think my problem becoming a more headache for you. Once again thanks for it.

Regards,

Kishore

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2012 12:00

Kishore,

If you did not replace the hard drive and the recovery partition is still working, you may want to backup all the files and folders that you cannot afford to lose. Then try...

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

Rick

9 Posts

December 3rd, 2012 00:00

Hi Rick,

I am not seeing Repair your computer from advanced boot options when I press F8. I think my recovery partition is corrupted. Will you please suggest me what should I do?

Regards,

Rekha

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2012 12:00

Rekha,

If you do not have the repair the computer, then the recovery partition is corrupt. The only method is How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

If you live in the United States, Request Backup Disks USA if in another Country, Contact Dell Tech support in your Country.

Rick

9 Posts

December 12th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

Thanks for helping me out, I've replace my wifi card. Working now properly.

Regards,

Kishore

No Events found!