Re: My Wifi on Latidute E6400 with Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN

jonedney,

When I first got my Dell Studio 1737, it came with Vista 32-bit. I installed Vista 64-bit on a sperate partition. Later I like Vista 64-bit and was using it all the time. My son then had an upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit, so I installed it on the Vista 32-bit partition.

I had a 5100 AGN card installed. I managed to install My WiFi Technology on the Windows 7 64-bit partition but it will NOT install on Vista 64-bit. My WiFi Technology will only install on Windows 7. So if the system is Vista or XP, it will not install. I see this says Windows Vista but would not install on the Vista partition but did on Windows 7 partition, same wireless adapter.

Hope I cleared that up. Is that what you were trying to do?

Drivers I used are on THIS PAGE.

Intel® My WiFi Technology

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
jonedney
1 Copper

I have now received confirmation that computer manufacturers do have the option to configure their systems to prevent the installation of My WiFi. This would typically be used for laptops targetted at enterprise use where customers (i.e. corporations) do not want their employees to activate this feature. This would be consistent with my previous guess that Dell have chosen to activate this blocking feature in the Latutude since it is designed to appeal to the corporate market. Apparrently the only way to remove the block is to install a new (non OEM) version of Windows.

0 Kudos

jonedney,

Did you...

Make a system retore point.

Download the drivers from Installing My Wi-Fi Technology?

Uninstall the network adapter in the device manager?

Restart your computer.

Install the new drivers.

You are using Windows 7, correct?

Rick 

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos