Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 15th, 2010 04:00

My network adapter will not start! (Broadcom Code 10)

Hiya everyone,

Turns out that my Dell XPS M1530 laptop got a virus, so to solve this I re-installed Windows (Vista Home Premium) and as a result, all of my files, drivers and software have all been deleted. I have re-installed almost everything I need, except one vital thing. The Wireless Network Adapter. 

I have used all the network drivers on my Dell Driver disc and none of them have seemed to work, luckily I have a spare computer so I can ask you all this and I have looked all over the internet for driver download, none of them have worked. I looked around and it seems to be quite a common problem when people advance OS' and I suppose I have been in the same situation, But no drivers seem to work!

Does anyone have any advice or download links to help me then that would be great. Thanks

Extra Information: Brodcom 802.11n Network Adapter

Device Status: This device cannot start (Code 10)

Service: BCM43X

1 Message

February 7th, 2011 16:00

SOLVED:

I have an Inspiron 1720 with the same problem after reinstalling Vista Home Premium....code 10...wireless adapter cannot start.

Device Manager showed "Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter"

Driver Details showed a Microsoft Driver with an older date. I believe the version was 4.82.28.56

PROBLEM: This is not the correct driver!!! You need a Dell driver ... not a MS driver! The default MS driver was installed.

I found a folder with the correct driver at C:\drivers\network\R151522 on my hard drive.

I used the Device Manager "Update Driver" option and pointed to that folder....success!

Device Manager now shows "Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card" under Network Adapters. I can see my wireless networks again!

Note: The folder may have been created while I was using the "Utilities" CD during my recovery.

Good Luck to all

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

February 15th, 2010 08:00

February 15th, 2010 09:00

Thanks for the link, however the only driver that I think is the right one keeps saying "The operating system is not supported. The software will not be installed."

So I seem to have a problem.

5 Posts

November 21st, 2010 14:00

Hi Triforcehunter, did you find a solution to this? I have this exact issue after a clean install (Vista 64-bit). There doesn't appear to be a driver on Broadcom's or Dell's website.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 21st, 2010 17:00

ukAdamR,

Try running Finding System Information. At the bottom you'll see your network adapters. Post the network adapters here along with the make and model of your computer and operating system.

Rick 

2 Posts

December 12th, 2010 10:00

Hello, I'm having the same problem. (Code 10 - cannot start) on a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Controller, BCM5761E. I've tried the drivers from the Broadcom site (b57nd60a) and from Dell.com (file R239885.exe), same result, cannot start. I'm on a Dell Precision M6400 Laptop running Windows Vista 64. I haven't reinstalled Windows, it used to work fine, I don't know what happened.

Here is the device instance path: PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1680&SUBSYS_168014E4&REV_10\4&15B2C2F&0&00E5

The problem is intermittent, sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. I'm currently using wireless to access the internet. I communicated briefly with Broadcom support, but they stopped responding to me. They told me to run the diagnostic tool you can download from the bottom of this page:

http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netxtreme_desktop.php

Here is the result that I got:

----

Error detected at device 0 (PCI slot 09:00:00)
Revision: 14.13
Unit under test: NIC
Module: IRQ Test
Test Name: IRQ Check
Error #18
Cannot gain access to flash, SwArbit: 3100
Msg: Failed reading NVRAM at 0x0000
----

I sent this result to them, and got no reply. I'd appreciate any help that anyone here can provide.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 12th, 2010 10:00

marklm2,

Did you try using these drivers?

Broadcom BCM5784M LAN or better known as Broadcom Netlink Gigibit Ethernet (64-bit drivers)

Rick

2 Posts

December 12th, 2010 14:00

I just tried installing those drivers, and I'm getting the same result. My guess is that this might not be a driver issue.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 12th, 2010 15:00

marklm2,

Reinstall the operating system recently?

Try system restore and go back to when this worked?

Restart the computer and Press F2 on startup. Look and make sure everthing looks correct in the bios.

Start, control panel, device manager, network, right click on the adapter and make sure it's enabled there. If so, then try deleting it, then restart your computer. Windows should install it and correct the issue if there was a problem. Make a system restore point first in case this doesn't work.

Rick

1 Message

November 6th, 2011 09:00

Solved:

I have a Latitude 5420 and problems with Broadcom Netxtreme Gigabit from the beginning (code 10 -  malfunction). I tried everything, but only changing in BIOS at Integrated NIC from enabled to "enabled w/pxe" worked.

1 Message

November 10th, 2011 11:00

Blessings on your home!!! After 2 days of trying to reinstall drivers, it was the Dell directory that had the correct driver. Thanks for sharing your solution :-)

November 13th, 2011 14:00

Hi, "You are a saver man, my personal Jesus Christ!" I think the recent BIOS upgrade to A03 caused the illness but you've found the cure. Thanks!

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2012 09:00

Worked for me. Great track. Thanks.

Latitude E5520 on which I just setup Windows 7 x64 RTM.

Code 10 disappeared soon after reboot and NIC showed up in the network center.

904 Posts

January 9th, 2012 18:00

Please create a new thread if any questions...

1 Message

April 1st, 2012 07:00

thanks andygandyg it works!

No Events found!