Highlighted
8 Krypton

Network Adapters Issue?

* English is not my first language so forgive me if my information is not clear. Sorry for including so many pictures, as I feel that it is the best way to present what I am facing.

Ok, lately, I have the feeling that something is wrong with my laptop. System: Windows Vista Home Premium, RAM: 2GB, Model: Inspiron 1520, Age: 3 years and counting

I have set my system so that whenever I close the lid, it will enter sleep mode. Normally, this process (the system entering sleep mode) takes just a while. This time, however, it takes considerably more time to go to sleep mode. (One thing to clarify, sleep mode, as I understand it, is the moment when the system goes idle, ie when the hard drive light is no longer blinking rapidly, but instead turning gradually between on and off). Don't confuse this with the interval between closing the lid and the system going to sleep. I believe during the interval, the system is still engaging with some activities, eg to prepare for sleep mode, etc?).

So, what I did was I went to Event Viewer and found this error. Snapshot is here.

I checked Device Manager and found out that the device mentioned is under the category Network Adapters.

One thing that puzzles me is that my system logs this error the moment I wake my computer from sleep and it happens every 2 seconds. Clicked on "Event Log Online Help" (1st image, More Information), but the error is not in the list.

Then, I would not be able to connect to the internet anymore (even with my wireless switch on, the LED (wireless) indicator on the right hand side is OFF). Even pushing the wireless switch to scan for wireless networks yielded no result at all, though my router is still on. Only restarting solves this problem, however, this time, it also takes a longer time to start Windows. After the Microsoft Corporation logo and the loading bar, the screen would usually just be blank for a while before the LogOn screen appears, this time, it goes blank for quite some time, and the Hard Drive light is blinking rapidly as well.

So, I performed a System Restore (on 17th Nov) and everything was fine after that.

Today (20 Nov), when I woke my computer up from sleep mode, the same thing was happening again.

Does anyone know what is wrong with my laptop? Or, has anyone encountered similar problems? In case this helps, I recently installed Skype, Yahoo Messenger, and Mozilla Firefox. There is one additional program in the "Program and Features" list that was installed as well, it's called Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable. I suspected that these programs might be the culprits, so I have uninstalled them and then restarted Windows. I am now connected able to connect to the internet and seek help.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos