Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 5th, 2014 04:00

Network Dropout (intermittent and consistent) - Dell Inspiron 7347, Win 8.1, Linksys BEFW11S4, Intel dual band wireless AC 7265 adapter

The story: I just bought a Dell Inspiron 7347 tablet/laptop (exchanged for another unit, see below).   Having issues maintaining a solid network connection and when it is connected, it's very slow.   When connected to the wireless router, it holds a connection (slow) for about 3 - 5 minutes and then craps out (limited connection with the yellow "!" over the wifi signal in task bar).  It then comes back up 1 - 3 minutes later.  It's a consistent ongoing cycle.  I've tried resetting the router to factory defaults with no luck.

All other devices on this router (desktop, phone, IPad) all hold the connection no problem at the same time this unit doesn't.

Notable:   Before I bought this tablet/laptop I had bought an Acer Aspire tablet/laptop that had the exact same issue on my network.  I returned that unit for other reasons (build quality etc) but it had the same OS (Win 8.1).  I don't know if it had the same network adapter installed.  

What I've tried:  Cycling the router - Cycling the modem - Resetting the router to factory defaults - Disabling U-APSD on the network adapter - Slapping myself hard - Offering small animals to the gods...

What I tried to try:  Attempted to update the drivers for the Intel adapter using the Intel Driver Update Utility ( Intel PROset wireless adapter and drivers for Win 8.1) but it kept timing out during download because...THE NETWORK ISN'T STABLE! (ugh!) 

The setup:

Dell Inspiron 7347
OS Win 8.1 all updates run

Network adapter: Intel dual band wireless AC 7265

Router: Linksys Wireless-B Broadband BEFW11S4
settings: 

Host Name:      (Required by some ISPs)
Domain Name:      (Required by some ISPs)
      Firmware Version:      1.45.7, Oct 8 2003
LAN IP Address:      (MAC Address: 00-0C-41-C6-49-B1)
      .  .  .  (Device IP Address)
      255.255.255.0 255.255.255.128 255.255.255.192 255.255.255.224 255.255.255.240 255.255.255.248 255.255.255.252  (Subnet Mask)
Wireless:      (MAC Address: 00-0C-41-C6-49-B1)
     EnableDisable
      SSID:       
      SSID Broadcast:   EnableDisable
      Channel:     1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   (Domain: USA)
      WEP:   MandatoryDisable  

Internet Connection Type:  

(MAC Address: 00-0C-41-C6-49-B2)
      Obtain an IP automatically Static IP PPPoE RAS (for SingTel users) PPTP Heart Beat Signal   Select the Internet connection type you wish to use

Router Password:  

(Enter New Password)
     (Re-enter To Confirm)

UPnP Services:      EnableDisable

Restore  
Factory Defaults:  
   YesNo

Host Name:      
Firmware Version:      1.45.7, Oct 8 2003

Login:  

Disable

LAN:  

(MAC Address: 00-0C-41-C6-49-B1)

IP Address: 192.168.1.1
   Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
   DHCP server: Enabled

Internet:  

(MAC Address: 00-0C-41-C6-49-B2)

IP Address: 67.249.54.246
   Subnet Mask: 255.255.224.0
   Default Gateway: 67.249.32.1
   DNS: 209.18.47.61
   DHCP Remaining Time: 22:33:53

DHCP Server:  
  Enable Disable
Starting IP Address:      192.168.1. 
Number of  
DHCP Users:  

Client Lease Time:       minutes (0 means one day)

DNS 1:  

.  .  . 
2:       .  .  . 
3:       .  .  . 
WINS:       .  .  . 

I'm stumped.   Driving me CRAZY!

13 Posts

December 19th, 2014 05:00

FIXED!!!   Check it out guys.   I was messing about with turning off all network card resources, add-ins etc in hopes of narrowing this down...including Bluetooth.   I have a Microsoft Bluetooth Sculpt Comfort Mouse ( [View:www.microsoft.com/.../sculpt-comfort-mouse:550:0]  )

I turned it off and BOOM...all was fine.   I noticed also when it was on, the speedtest would dip dramatically when I actually moved the mouse during the test.   See below for the test result with the mouse off.   I can't post one with the mouse on because the test wouldn't even complete with it on.

Hmmmm....so it turns out it could be a problem with a MS product...go figure.

4 Posts

January 28th, 2015 10:00

I don't think so. I have a same problem but I think the problem is Dell Bluetooth not MS product.

when you enable Bluetooth  your wireless speed will slow down.

This is my testing by use wireless network copy file 350 MB from my computer desktop to my laptop Dell 7347

Bluetooth off  : Speed 11.4 MB/s (very fast)

Bluetooth on  : Speed 710 KB/s (very slow)

I want Dell update wireless driver to solve this problem. 

13 Posts

December 5th, 2014 05:00

Thanks for the input.   You're right.  It is an old router.  Perhaps I'll try a newer one.

Sorry about your laptop.   Some people just suck (but not all).

UPDATE:  Tethered to my phone and got the driver updated.   Still not fixed :(

1 Message

December 5th, 2014 05:00

The date on the firmware for your router is 2003. And it's a B router. You might just want to upgrade to something newer. Just a thought. I just got done dealing with the exact same scenario but with my desktop. The Internet tech came out and checked my lines and wireless router and then he made a note of the exact times my system was dropping the connection. He then went and looked at some of my neighbors on his laptop and could see there were 5 other customers of his that were dropping their connections at the exact same time to the seconds. He was able to follow it up the line to determine the problem was originating in their hardware on one of the poles a few blocks from here. He put in an order to send out the line repair guys to replace a switch or something and wala! I very seldom drop any connections anymore. My laptop got its Intel ProSet drivers updated from the Dell site. Didn't care for the Intel update utility. I wish I could give you more info on that but my laptop got stolen on thanksgiving so I can't refer to it and give you the latest driver info. Sorry. Good luck with this. It really is a maddening situation and I can empathize with you,

3 Posts

December 16th, 2014 09:00

I'm having the exact same problem with a 7347 purchased four days ago from Microsoft store. I have a less than year old xfinity router and all other devices in the house reach the 30 down 5 up consistently while this 7347 is lucky to get anywhere close to that.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 17th, 2014 12:00

I bought my 7347 a month ago and have the same issue with my dell 7347 and Zyxel Keenetic Giga. 

Connection fails after ~half of hour. Yellow flag appeared at network icon. It should be reconnect.

Other my wifi clients (tvs, phones, notebook) work fine.

My wifi driver version is A00.

Need help...

13 Posts

December 17th, 2014 12:00

I bought a new wifi router ( [View:us.dlink.com/.../:550:0] ) 

Still having the same drop out issue.   Using all default settings on the router.  I am also now starting to see drop outs on my work network also.

13 Posts

December 17th, 2014 16:00

Contacted my service provider (Time Warner) and had a chat with a tech who seemed to be helpful.  

Below is the content of the chat but it shoudl suffice to say she remoted into my PC and set the router settings as she indicates at the bottom of the chat.  I'm testing connection now.   If you don't hear anything more, it's save to assume that it worked.   Here's hoping :/

Gabriel Sandford: at 19:12:00
I have changed the settings on your router page which was blocking to get the access to full speeds.
Kevin Lucas: at 19:12:12
Can you tell exactly what you did? I have a blog post at the Dell forum about this and there's a number of people who might really be helped with this info?
I have changed the settings on your router page which was blocking to get the access to full speeds.
Kevin Lucas: at 19:13:01
Specifically...
Gabriel Sandford: at 19:14:21
Your Bandwidth settings was set to auto which I have set it to 20 Ghz and changed the signal strength to max.
Kevin Lucas: at 19:14:54
Gabriel is the BOMB! :)
Kevin Lucas: at 19:14:59
TY
Gabriel Sandford: at 19:15:10
Much appreciated.
Gabriel Sandford: at 19:15:17
You are welcome.
Gabriel Sandford: at 19:15:25
Thank you for being the best part of Time Warner Cable. Please contact us for any additional questions or assistance. Your satisfaction is our prime concern.
Gabriel Sandford: at 19:15:28
Is there anything else I could assist you with today?
Kevin Lucas: at 19:16:04
Nope. Gonna go romp on the net for a bit and see if it worked. Thanks for the help.
Gabriel Sandford: at 19:16:14
Brilliant!
Gabriel Sandford: at 19:16:20
It was great chatting with you.
Gabriel Sandford: at 19:16:20
If you have a minute, please give us the feedback by selecting "End Chat".
Kevin Lucas: at 19:16:33
Will do. Have a great night.

13 Posts

December 17th, 2014 17:00

UPDATE:   That did not work.   I'm a so Substitute character removed as per TOU> sick of this!!!!

3 Posts

December 17th, 2014 21:00

I've been trying this and it seems to be working as I've noticed speed drops considerably when on battery. Default seems to be Maximum Power Saving. Power Options>Change Plan Settings>Change Advanced Power Settings>Wireless Adapter Settings>Power Saving Mode>On Battery>Maximum Performance.

Give it a shot. Post back if it works or not. Hopefully it does otherwise we're going to have to dig further. Not sure how nobody could have noticed this issue until now.

13 Posts

December 18th, 2014 03:00

I'll try this right now.   Thanks for the suggestion :)  I'll let you know how it goes either way.

13 Posts

December 18th, 2014 04:00

I changed the "on battery" in power settings to "maximum performance".  For added measure i also went into the Dell Power Management interface and turned off "Dell Extended Battery Life".  It now seems so far that I can hold a connection slightly better but the connection is still VERY slow.   When downloading a large file (~50MBs) it swings from normal download speeds to very little or no download and then back.   It cycles between these points at about 30 sec intervals.   Sometimes the download just gives up trying to run and throws "download failed - network error".  Other times it keeps trying but takes FOREVER to download something between dropouts.

That being said, right now I'm trying to download a file from the Arduino site and once again it failed.

13 Posts

December 18th, 2014 05:00

Incidentally, I am doing all of this on outlet power.

13 Posts

December 18th, 2014 05:00

I tried downloading large files from a number of sites thinking that perhaps it was just the file server on the Arduino site that was messing up.   I got the same intermittent connection issues on all the files (see below for a list of the sites I tried large downloads from).  

Suspecting that Google Chrome was trying to manage downloads in some funky way, I tried downloading the same file through IE.  Had the same issues (network dropout).

[View:arduino.cc/.../Software:550:0

[View:vvvv.org/downloads:550:0

[View:www.mars.asu.edu/.../:550:0

3 Posts

December 18th, 2014 09:00

Well it was worth a shot. So far I've been getting lucky using that setting. Hopefully someone else will have another idea.

No Events found!