Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 18th, 2011 14:00

Network Drops on every ReStart/ReBoot on this computer

I have a 3 computer network successfully sharing files and printers. 2 of the computers are Dell Desktops running Windows XP and the 3rd is my Dell LapTop  Studio 1745 running Windows 7. I am connected by ethernet on all 3 using a modum and router although occassionally my Laptop connects wirelessly when I am travelling. However, the issues are the same wired or wireless. Whenever my Laptop has to reboot or restart-- the network connection is lost on ONLY the laptop--Both the desktops are unaffected--both the desktops can still share printers and internet ONLY the laptop is down. The solution is to have to reboot both the modum and the router and then all is in order but that solution is simply a quick fix. Something must be wrong. I have downloaded the most current drivers and have checked the router and modum--all are in perfect condition and it seems that others that have had this problem seem to feel that the issue is with the laptop--Perhaps the fact that the laptop is windows 7 and the others are XP is an issue, although if that were a problem why would I have a perfect network at all times other than when a reboot or restart is in order--When I have rebooted or restarted the desktops--all is OK--Only when this Laptop is rebooted do I Iose the network connection. Please advise and thanks in advance--Perhaps I'm simply missing an easy solution.

RobertPaul

10 Posts

July 25th, 2011 11:00

Thanks for your suggestions but that was not the answer--This laptop(and most newer laptops with built-in wireless adaptors) has never had a problem communicating with both wired and wireless routers --I did however find the solution to my problem and wanted to share it with anyone eles running into the same issues--The problem is a software issue and not a hardware issue--I have been running utorrent(P2P software) and after looking into their site FAQ's it seems too many global connections will cause problems with some routers--the link to this info is:

www.utorrent.com/faq.php with P2P---I have uninstalled utorrent and now all is well--Thanks for everyone's help---

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 18th, 2011 15:00

RobertPaul,

Here is the information on file and printer sharing. This works both ways and virus programs and firewalls will try to block communications.

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP

I recomment using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11. 

Also try these tweaks.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 19th, 2011 07:00

Your problem is a laptop attempts to connect to the wireless connection first and you are using ethernet. To solve this--use only the wireless. You have 2 diff network cards--one wireless and one wired. The computer is conflicted on which to use so it uses both. If you insist on using the ethernet--which has nothing to do with your router settings--you have to disable the wireless in Network Connections. You should not use ethernet at all and set up a secure wpa2 password protected, uniquely named network (SSID) according to your router's instructions. Then set the computer's network connection in Network and Sharing Center to always connect to your own wireless network automatically. Then you use another wireless connection while on the road. When you reboot the router and modem you are resetting the wireless network not your computer. The wired network bypasses any network settings and router password since it is directly and instantly connected.

10 Posts

July 19th, 2011 07:00

Thanks for your input--I tried everything suggested and had to restore back to my original settings as I couldn't connect to the network at all with the suggested settings even after rebooting the modum and router-as I said before-I have absolutely no difficulty sharing files and printers between all 3 computers--everything works fine--It is only when I have to reboot or shutdown and restart this laptop do the issues happen--as far as the MS windows 7 troubleshooter is concerned when this happens it is suggesting I am not connected to the router or modum (Of course this is incorrect as all connections remain unchanged)--Consequently the only way I can get the network up and running again is to reboot BOTH the modum and the router--I am fairly certain it is not a modum or router issue as my other 2 computers on the network have never been affected--all files and printers continue to work with those 2--ONLY my Dell Laptop is down--thanks for your advice--If you can think of anything else it would be appreciated but it seems I may have to take this laptop into a Dell service tech to diagnose--thanks again

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 19th, 2011 09:00

Change the ethernet port you connect to on the router if you are still using ethernet--some routers do not use port 1. Use Port 2, 3 or 4. Did you try disabling the wireless in Network Connections? Open Network connections and right click on the wireless card and disable it.  Another thing to check is the properties of your network card. Make sure Power Management allows Windows to turn off this device to save Power. That should be selected to  tell Windows to wake the card when the computer returns from Hibernation or Hybrid Sleep. Perhaps your laptop is not really shutting down but is in Hibernation. Check power options to see. Watch the connection icons in the bottom right and keep track of your connections. Hover over each to see which  one is the ethernet and which is the wireless.

For what it's worth, I think Networking is one of the most difficult "tear your hair out" computer problems. I found that when I bought a new N Linksys/Cisco router the setup and use were so much easier. If your router is a few years old consider replacing it with a new easy setup N model. Those are backwards compatible with G and you will be prepared for your next computer. The fact that you could not configure a diff setup might mean you need to replace it. I would try everything instead of taking it to a computer repair shop. Dell techs are only at Dell, not in the field--unless you are in Round Rock.

No Events found!