Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

January 7th, 2010 17:00

Network Printer does not work on laptop

Printer -  HP Photosmart 4200C

Printer is attached to the desk top - with VISTA

Laptop - with Windows 2003 XP

I have ATT Uverse internet with a gateway --  both by laptop and desktop connect to gateway through wirless

The mapping on the desktop shows the laptop being connected to the network - so computers all seem ok

PROBLEM:  I cant add my network printer to my lap top - the one that is directly connected to my desk top

I am using the add printer wizard, I check network printer - when it browses the network, it isnt able to locate the printer

Thanks

Jeff

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 7th, 2010 17:00

Lots of things to check--Are you sharing the printer on the vista computer? File and printer sharing turned on? Vista firewall and Network & Sharing Center allowing the laptop to access the printer? Is the desktop turned on? Do both computers have the right wireless passwords and members of the same workgroup? XP computers default workgroup is MSHOME, while Vista's is Workgroup. Change the XP computer's group to Workgroup or a workgoup name you pick. Computer names must be different, but workgroup names should be the same.

7 Posts

January 8th, 2010 15:00

Thanks forthe response.

1. I am sharing a printer that is attached to the Vista computer.

2.The file and priner sharing is turned on.

3. The VISTA firewall is on,but the exception "file and printer sharing"  is checked.

4.  Both computers have same and correct wirless passwords and both use a workgroup labeled as MSHOME.  (In addition, when I am in the "network sharing center" on the VISTA computer, and I view the "full map"  I can see the entire network - including the gateway and including both the VISTA desktop and XP laptop that are connected wirelessly to the gateway.)

5.  The computer names are different.

When I am on the XP and I browse for a shared printer on the network,nothing comes up.

Any other ideas?  Thanks -  Jeff

14.4K Posts

January 8th, 2010 15:00

What about file sharing? can you see and access files and folder between the two computers?

1 Message

January 9th, 2010 08:00

I am having similar problems I think.

I have an Visat desktop sharing a printer on my network.

My Win7 (Dell Inspiron 1545) laptop won't print on the shared printer. When I try and link it, it sees my desktop AND the printer but won't finalze the setup. I get the following error message

operation failed   0x0000000d

I havwe the Win7 driver and firmware on the printer, and my other comuters have no problem. Kodak (printer) customer support says it's a Dell issue. Does anybody know anything about that?

I have confirmed I CAN share files between the computers. Just cant print from the Win 7 Laptop.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 9th, 2010 08:00

7 Posts

January 9th, 2010 12:00

I am not as far as you.  I can see no shared files.  When I browse to add a network printer on my lap top -  nothing comes up as an option.  Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks.

7 Posts

January 9th, 2010 12:00

No-  I cant see shared files either

Jeff

14.4K Posts

January 9th, 2010 18:00

If you cannot even see files and folders between the two systems it will never share a printer.

Using THIS link that Pudgy One provided earlier lets get at least file sharing set up. I think once that happens then printer sharing should just fall into place.

No Events found!