Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

October 25th, 2003 19:00

Network connection - Inspiron to Desktop PC

Hi All,

Have spent hours on this and am burnt out. Need to network my Inspiron to my Desktop PC (also DEll). Gone through Network Wizards, pinging etc and finally arrive at the following error message on both machines:

"Fireflyhome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

As I don't have a server on either machine this is a mystery to me. Look forward to anyone being able to shine a bit of light on this!

695 Posts

October 30th, 2003 20:00

Either should do a good job for you. The only other thing I would note is that if you aren't planning on using wireless now, I'd go with a router without built in wireless and add an access point later. The reason is the WEP (the encryption standard for 802.11 a,b,g) has some serious flaws. The newer standard (WPA) is just now beginning to be available. It fixes the security flaws in WEP. Since most wireless devices don't yet support the better encryption standard (and my not be upgraded in the future), if security is a concern, I wait on the wireless.

October 31st, 2003 13:00

These problems are often caused by not configuring your firewall software to allow a connection with the other computer.  In both McAfee and Norton there is an ISP configuration screen.  Go to that screen and make sure the ISP range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.200 is allowed to connect.  That may solve the problem.

Earl

10 Posts

October 31st, 2003 14:00

Thanks for the commnet.

I have enabled the Firewall between my desktop computer and the internet. I have not enabled a firewall between the desktop and the Laptop. Should I?

10 Posts

October 31st, 2003 14:00

OK, I'll order a router and see what other hoops I have to jump through. So I'll sign off until I've got that organised.

Thanks again

7.3K Posts

November 1st, 2003 02:00

One size firewall fits all, meaning if you have a firewall enabled, unless you change the setup as he suggested, you will not allow the other computer access.
No Events found!