Yesterday I installed a new DSL modem (BEC7300GT). Now I find that one computer logs on to the internet while the other one (Dimension 8400 Windows XP) won't. It's like The computer is not hooked to the modem. It is not wireless, it is connected through the DSL cables, not a USB.
I contacted my ISP and they had me run a DNS Cache Flush because I was getting that error when I went to control panel/network options/internet connection and ran "repair".
They had me go to the cmd screen and try to flush but I get the error message "Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache". My ISP said this is a computer problem and so I contacted Dell but all he would tell be is that I needed the correct driver for this new modem. When I tried to explain that the modem was not a part of the computer but simply connected via a cable he wasn't interested.
So, I called the ISP back and they told me no driver is necessary and it was a computer problem.
Can anyone give me some guidance here? Between the language problem and the Dell Tech not knowing what to do I'm at a loss. Is there some way to correct this "DNS flush" as my ISP tells me that is the problem.
It is my guess that the working comptuer is connected via USB. In my experience, cable and DSL modems with both USB and ethernet ports will automatically disable the ethernet port if a computer is connecting using a USB cable.
If both are using ethernet, however, then more testing would be needed. A simple solution would be to get a router between the computers and the modem.
Thanks for your reply. Both computers are connected via the built-in router in the modem. And both are connected via DSL cable rather than USB. The funny thing is that my old setup (Starsmart Modem and D-Link Router) worked just fine for both computers. I replaced them due to a problem in the modem which slowed my connection down significantly.
Anyhow - after working with Dell some more they determined that I couldn't flush the cache and that was the problem. I ended up re-formatting and loading the OS and that fixed the problem.
I still don't understand why it worked fine with the other router and why this software problem showed up but I guess it's magic. They couldn't explain it to me either (India Techs) so I guess I'll just be in the dark.
anyhow, it's working now.