Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 3rd, 2017 18:00

New Inspiron 15 - slow wired and wireless Internet

I am having an issue with download speeds on a brand new Inspiron 15 3000 series. It arrived a couple of days ago.

Both wired and wi-fi internet is very slow compared to other devices on my network.  I am getting download speeds of 20Mbps, while my smart phone is getting 90+.  My previous 5+ year old Dell was also getting much faster speeds from the same router.

So far I have tried the following without any improvements:

Uninstalled McAfee
Turned off Firewalls completely (turned them back on when it did nothing)
Updated all network related drivers 
Made sure that receive window auto-tuning level is set to normal
Disabled all the network adapters showing in device manager but the LAN and Wireless ones
The wireless card is configured for 802.11ac, so i blocked every other type of network coming from the Virgin Media Hub.

Disabled heuristics.

The laptop was also slow on the office internet in work.

Some setting in this computer seems to be capping out my download speeds and I have no idea what.

1 Message

November 10th, 2018 10:00

OMG thanks.   Download performance was capped at about 50 Mbps, while upload was 800 Mbps + (I'm on optical fiber with gigabit Ethernet in house) prior to disabling "SmartByte Network Service " . 

Afterwards, download was no longer throttled.  Amazingly problematic default service. 

https://www.dell.com/community/Networking-Internet-Bluetooth/Beware-of-SmartByte/td-p/6130892

1 Message

November 11th, 2018 13:00

Hey brother thanks a lot for this tip ive had this laptop for over a year now and i always had **bleep** internet connection and now you just fixed my problem for me

1 Message

November 22nd, 2018 14:00

Thanks, dude! Disabling SmartByte fixed my internet problem! The strangest thing is that my internet was working properly (I have this computer for about 3 years) and then my internet went from 100mpbs to 4.5mbps all of a sudden.

1 Message

November 29th, 2018 15:00

Same - mine was fine for almost 3 years. I have 400mbps and i would ALWAYS get 460mbps until about 3 weeks ago one day it just plummeted. One laptop dropped to 20mbps consistently, the other identical laptop dropped to 60mbps consistently. drove me nuts trying to troubleshoot my internet/router/cabling etc. I work for the internet provider that i was speed testing on, and I even had engineers and line technicians looking into what was causing it (i use these laptops to troubleshoot at customer houses)

Whatever they changed in this SmartByte thing, it cost our company a lot of money in wasted time.

1 Message

December 17th, 2018 19:00

Wow. Thank you, instant fix.

1 Message

December 20th, 2018 10:00

@JovianPug wrote:

Hey, I just found solution, worked on my Inspirion 7570, maybe it will help you :)
Win + R -> type in "services.msc" -> turn off SmartByte Network Service
Before this I had 6-8 Mb/s now I have 320 :D

Absolutely mind-boggling that a service like that would EVER be installed and running on ANY computer without the knowledge of the owner or administrator. Thanks so much for posting that solution. It worked for me!

1 Message

January 7th, 2019 10:00

This solution has fixed the issue with my inspiron 15 5000 gaming series. Thank you

@JovianPug wrote:

Hey, I just found solution, worked on my Inspirion 7570, maybe it will help you :)
Win + R -> type in "services.msc" -> turn off SmartByte Network Service
Before this I had 6-8 Mb/s now I have 320 :D

1 Message

January 27th, 2019 16:00

after hours of trouble shooting i came across this thread and BOOM problem fixed instantly. Thanks bud True MVP

1 Message

January 31st, 2019 16:00

AMAZING...thank you soo much! I spent $800 on my new computer and my connection speed was 20% of what it was on my old 10 year old computer and i couldnt understand why I was having this issue. Made the change like you recommended and BOOM its fixed. THANK YOU sooooo much. 

Kelly

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2019 21:00

You are the true GOAT sir!!! Fixed my internet speed. I was literally hours away from returning it for something else after troubleshooting for a week. Thanks!

March 2nd, 2019 12:00

I just bought a new i5 Dell desktop that was getting less than 1/2 the download speed of my ancient 2006 Dell Optiplex it was replacing.

I turned off the Smartbyte and now my download speed is 4x what the old computer got on a good day. THANK YOU!!! I would never have found this setting on my own.

I see that Dell posted this as an issue in November 2018

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln309274/smartbyte-application-may-slow-network-performance-and-audio-issues-with-inspiron-systems?lang=en

1 Message

March 23rd, 2019 12:00

Thank you! It worked for me! Does Dell test their bloatware?

1 Message

May 5th, 2019 10:00

I thank you JovianPug! And DELL should thank you too!

Your recommended fix worked for me and saved DELL from getting a return computer and losing a customer back to HP.

Old HP 370MB download/upload.  New (May 2019) DELL computer - 15MB down/300MB up.

After stopping the SmartByte Network Service, back to 370MB down/up.

May 8th, 2019 02:00

yes it is possible to manage download speed form your computer.

Are you looking iPhone development company in India. we are providing all type of it services.iPhone development service in india

1 Message

May 29th, 2019 00:00

Worked for me on my Inspiron 15! Thanks

No Events found!