Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2016 09:00

New Network Adapter causing boot up problems with Optiplex 790

The secretary at our company recently had an issue with her computer not connecting to our network/internet.  I traced it to either a bad Ethernet port on the motherboard or some other fault related to that.  I purchased the Broadcom NetXtreme 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Network Card PCI-E SFF for DELL from NewEgg after looking at the specs for my computer and seeing that as a valid replacement.  

I installed the drivers and hooked everything up fine and it all worked.  The next day, now I'm getting my boot screen, then it goes black and I see a 1 3 4 on the tower of my PC.  After some research, I found that I needed to reset my CMOS/BIOS settings.  I did that and after a restart, it boots up perfectly.  I shut down the machine to confirm that it will reboot and be fixed still.  Only to find that when I reboot, I get the same problem!  I'm so confused.  I know the card isn't bad, because it works when I reset the BIOS.  Why would it only work the first time after resetting the BIOS?  HELP!!!!

Side note:  If I remove the new network card and start my machine, it works perfectly, I just cannot access my network or the internet because the on board Ethernet port is not working. 

Thanks!  

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 8th, 2016 19:00

Hi tbayler,

Have you tried the other PCI-E slot for the network card? I am just wondering if that changes anything. Diagnostic LEDs 1 3 4 (like you mention) typically point to a possibility that the system board/slot/peripherals are faulty (or a bad system setting), but like you mention the new card is working fine when plugged in (except for if the system resets etc.). Anyway, before trying the other PCI-E slot, have you disabled the onboard NIC in the BIOS? You can enter the BIOS pressing F2 at boot-up and under system configuration you should see Integrated NIC listed under System Configuration. There will be an option to disable it (and then make sure to save and exit the BIOS). I would try disabling the Integrated NIC, installing the new network card, test it works, and then reset the system to see if it still hangs on 1 3 4.

Go ahead and try the same slot first (with the NIC disabled) before trying the 2nd one, and off the top of my head I want to say there are 2 but you might already have the other one in use (if so, do not worry about swapping).

If none of these suggestions work (disabling the integrated nic/other slot) let me know. Also can you post what version of BIOS you are running (I am just curious on this)?

Best regards,

Brad

2 Posts

September 12th, 2016 07:00

Brad, 

My bios version is ao5.  I just updated it to the most recent version of ao5 last week when troubleshooting, per an online suggestion.  I had already disabled the NIC.  I do not have another PCI-E slot to plug the card in to.  On Friday I was able to power on, log in, and work on my network just fine.  However, after letting the unit sit for around an hour without being used, the keyboard/mouse froze up and nothing was happening.  No lights were blinking, nothing.  The fans were still spinning and I still had my desktop image on the screen.  Just no function of any peripherals.  

any other suggestions?  I powered up fine today as well, but I'm assuming the keyboard and mouse is going to stop working again.  Please let me know if you need more information or anything.  I currently have my secretary set up with a spare computer so I can pretty much try anything whenever is convenient for you. 

Thanks, 

Tucker

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

September 13th, 2016 11:00

Hi Tucker,

Thanks for the update. Can you send me your Service Tag on the machine in an email? I am sending you an email from my Dell email address now to request this. I wanted to look into this a bit further before declaring the board failed/is failing etc.   

Thanks,

Brad

No Events found!