Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2009 08:00

NewB.

Trying to connect my Linksys WE12N. Do I first download the CD to my laptop or to the desktop? I have a 4 year old Dell desktop (WindowXP)connected to = a DSL modem; ; I just purchased a Dell 17Studio laptop and want to connect the Linksys WE120N router so that I can use my laptop anywhere in the house. My question is, do I download the CD that comes with the router to the desktop or to the laptop? the laptop comes with Windos Vista, thank for any help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 5th, 2009 09:00

flyboyaviator,

I do not find that Linksys has that model number. If you could post the correct model number, it would be helpful.

Setup should look like...

Wall > ISP Modem/Router > Wireless router(if any) > Wired/wireless

If using DSL, a DSL Filter MUST be on ALL devices, phone, answering machine, faxes, etc..., everything EXCEPT the DSL Modem/Router.

You may share a DSL Filter.

Wall > DSL Filter > Splitter > Multiple Devices

Read more tips at...

Welcome, PLEASE READ FIRST

Rick

August 5th, 2009 20:00

sorry about that; the model number is WRT120N.  comes with the CD and cable. My desktop is about 4 years old Dell with Windows XP home.  My new laptop is the Dell Studio 17 with window Vista. Do I download the sosft ware to the desk top or the laptop.  Thanks for any help. Hugo

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 6th, 2009 01:00

Hugo,

Your setup should look like...

wall > ISP modem/router > Linksys WRT120N > wired/wireless (You will plug your desktop into the Linksys router)

Did you ever setup the Linksys router? If not, then it needs to be setup. Plug an ethernet cable into the wireless router and connect it to your computer.

Hit the Windows key and the R key at the same time. Type CMD

Hit enter. Now type

ipconfig /all          (space between the g and /)

Look for the default gateway. Should look something like 192.168.1.1 or similar. Open internet Explorer and type the default gateway number in the address bar and hit enter. You should be prompted for a username and password, unless the setup wizard starts. If it doesn't start, then close internet explorer and then press the reset button in the back of the router for 30 seconds. Then release it. Open Internet Explorer and then type the default Gateway in the address bar and hit enter.

Suggested settings.

Broadcast SSID (If you had one before, please change it to make connecting easier)

Update the firmware for the Linksys WRT120N.

Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security (Personal)

I use mixed mode because I use a wireless print server

Use channel 1, 6 or 11. I use channel 11.

Save settings and exit. Power everything off for 30 seconds, then power everything back on. Also unplug your computer from the router and restart it.

When the Studio 17 restarts, then try to connect to your new network.

What happens?

Rick

No Events found!